Chapter 27

Wilson gasped as he woke, recalling what had happened before he passed out. Charlie had attacked him, the thought of those piercing, cold white eyes. He shivered, which was something he never thought he'd do. Where even was he? He didn't remember anything after Charlie attacked him.

He sat up and looked around. He was surrounded by stone walls, and he was on a very uncomfortable bed. It was a wooden board, that's why. Bars made up the wall opposite to him, and it was very obvious he was in a cell. He stood up. Why was he here? Was it something to do with Charlie?

He was in the castle dungeon. He had only been down here once before. When some shadow creatures had caused trouble "without their master's permission". Now I knew that it was all a lie they were told to tell. Maxwell always meant the trouble he caused.

He walked over to the bars. They were infused with dark magic, making the inside of the metal bar move with black energy. Touching it resulted in a variety of effects, most likely a bad burn.

He held his hand up to the metal, not touching it but feeling the energy radiating off it. Maxwell must have liked the fact that these bars could kill anything mortal. Could. It doesn't mean they would. It just depended on the effect.

Wilson didn't want to test his luck seeing if he could slip through the bars without dying. This whole ordeal made him too paranoid to even think of doing so. Why did Charlie bring him here? Maxwell must have a spell he wanted to test and he got Charlie to get the best candidate. Him.

The thought terrified him. He began running through all the spells in the Cotex that he remembered. Shadow hands, Clockwork infusion, Life sapping fog...

The last one he thought of made him begin to hyperventilate. The very last one he didn't want to test, fearing that it would disrupt the balance.

Grue separation.

He backed up against a wall, pulling his scarf around his neck. He felt cold again. Not cold like emotionless, but brittle with fear. He knew his Grue all too well and knew what it could do. It wanted to be alone. It would do anything to be alone. Even kill.

He slapped himself for wanting something that badly. He didn't even like loneliness anymore. 

Why must it still haunt him? He now liked being around his fellow gods, as they could now relate in ways they couldn't before. But no. He still, deep, deep down, wanted to be alone.

And for that, every good thing in him would now die.