Chapter 20

Wilson and Willow stopped in a clearing, both extremely tired from walking for nearly 2 days straight. Nightfall was nearing fast, and, Wilson being the brilliant man he is, assembled an ax from flint and sticks. Willow was quite surprised by this, seeing how Wilson had no experience with the outdoors. That was a lie, Wilson preferred being outside. At least when it was cool out. Now, being cold seemed like a curse.

Wilson often remembered trips outside, sleeping by a fire and waking in the morning to a pile of ashes. He only did this in Winter and a ways away from the fire. The fire was just there to keep away the darkness.

Now the fire was to keep them warm and to keep the darkness away. But now, the darkness seemed far more threatening. It almost seemed to stare back at him, into his soul...

That aside, Wilson had managed to get firewood, even if he was already tired. Setting some of it in a tent shape and using grass and twigs as kindling, a nice warm fire was made using flint again. Sitting far closer to the flames than what he was usually used to, Wilson felt something odd. Now that he was no longer sensitive to heat, he felt the comforting heat that Willow or the others always described. He was shocked by the experience, like a child so shocked that he got a toy he has always wanted and didn't know how to react.

Willow observed his reaction, smiling slyly, half expecting him to start melting. But then she remembered that he no longer had his powers, and was no longer as fragile like ice. Her face immediately lost is grin, looking away from Wilson. Of course, he saw all this out of the corner of his eye, expecting only her first reaction. She pity's me. Just like I pitied her, Wilson thought, sadness sweeping over him, but he did not show it. I hate her pity. I don't need it, he told himself. But he knew that it wasn't exactly wrong of her to do so.

...

Something was shaking Wilson, tearing him from a dreamless sleep. He'll admit, it was nice for him to sleep and not worry about having some wretched nightmare, but the shaking seemed frantic, so he slowly woke, groggily opening his eyes.

Willow's gray eyes met his as he awoke, her bright face happier than he had ever seen her. Confused, he looked around surprised to see Wendy, Wolfgang and... two spiders sitting next to a boy.

His eyes widened and his jaw dropped, Willow pulling him forcefully up. "I know!" She squealed, which Wilson had also never seen her do before. "Isn't this amazing? They found our camp and came over to join us!"

Wilson didn't react. There was Wendy, Wolfgang, and Aracnie, but who was the boy and the other spider?