Chapter 25

When Willow, Wolfgang, Webber, and Wendy arrived back at camp, Wilson was curled up against the tree he had been leaning on. More shocked and afraid than the others, Willow was the first to run to his side.

Wilson's eyes were wide with shock, and he was paler than usual. Willow didn't know why or how, but she knew it had something to do with Maxwell. She sat the terrified god's limp body against the tree and gently shook him. he barely responded, groaning as though he were in pain. More frantic as the others joined her side, Willow shook him again, this time uttering his name in a concerned tone.

This time he snapped awake, pushing her away. "G-Get away from me!" Wilson screeched, wild with fear and desperation. The others reeled back in surprise at the outburst but did not go."Wilson, it's just us! We're back!" Willow said, reaching into her pockets and pulling out some carrots. The others did the same, Webber's hands full of red berries, while Wolfgang held more carrots and Wendy with a mixture of the two. Webber's face was stained with red juice from the berries.

Wilson stared at them for a moment, then slowly sat up, trembling. He knew that his encounter with Maxwell had not been a dream, but for some reason, the Shadow God kept him alive. He had no clue why, or even how, but all that mattered was that they had come back and were ok. Right?

Willow held out a carrot to Wilson, who was still shocked but took the vegetable. He stared at it for a moment, just trying to figure out how he was going to deal with his new problem.

...

Night had fallen over the stranded group. They had found some rocks on the search for food, and so they arranged them in a circle and started a fire in the center. It was a decent fire pit, considering that most of them never stayed outside. Webber had started crying again, whining that this wasn't fair. His spiders huddled around him protectively. Wendy was gently telling him to calm down. Wolfgang had somehow gained some muscle back. Willow stared at the flames, poking at them with a stick. Wilson remained leaned against the tree he had been earlier. He suddenly didn't feel comfortable near his companions, paranoid of something that only he could sense. He knew what it was. But he rather not think about it.

Eventually, the others began saying their goodnight's and falling asleep near the dying flames. Willow looked back at Wilson once or twice before she slept.

But as soon as everyone was asleep, Wilson stood up, pulled a still burning stick from the fire pit, and walked out into the darkness.