Chapter 10

Jolting awake, Wilson fell out of his bed, his face meeting with the hard floor. Groaning, he forced himself to stand. Charlie... why wasn't she in the Throne? That was his first question, following it a few hundred more.

The sky was dark, so it must have been the middle of the night, or somewhere around that time. Of course, that wasn't the usual time Wilson would wake, which would normally be about sunrise. That's when he could take requests from other Gods or just experiment with clockworks. Now it was too dark to do either of those.

Pulling his clothes on, Wilson walked over to his desk. Pulling out a book, Clockwork Mechanics, and lighting a candle, he began to flip through the pages. The scratchy drawings and handwriting were all by yours truly, either telling you how to make them or not to infuse them with shadow magic. Now that Maxwell had the Cotex Umbra, he was sure that would be ignored and he would get attacked by one in the forest. Damn it all, Maxwell. What happened to you?

...

Dawn had come sooner than expected, and Wilson leaned tiredly over his desk. He had sat up the whole half of the night, reading his book. The candle was nearly completely gone, reduced to a chunk of melted wax, wick flickering weakly. Wilson had gotten another headache.

Thinking about the problem at hand had become a chore, a forced action that seemed unnecessary. But he knew better. This was much more serious. This was a deadly topic that could not be ignored.

He had spent most of the time thinking instead of reading. Only when he dropped his book he was snapped back to full alert.

Fear had also kept him awake. Fear of what his dreams might tell him. Fear of what Maxwell was doing. He would have to arrange a meeting today for the Gods. This matter had become far more urgent.

...

The arrangement went as planned, only Webber complaining that his eyes hurt from crying at the loss of his two good friends. No one else seemed to even want to complain, reasoning that this was an urgent matter.

They all met in a clearing near Wilson's house, flowers, and trees lining an area of taller grasses. WX-78 had brought clockwork creatures with him to guard the area, even if Wilson ordered him not to do so. Thankfully, everyone had arrived safely.

Wilson spoke first. "Going directly to the matter at hand, we must find a way to deal with Maxwell. He has become a danger to all of us."

Wickerbottom nodded in agreement. She probably knew more about the book than all of them combined.

Willow scoffed at his words. "Oh, like we magically come up with some dandy way of dealing with an insane God. Good show Wilson!" She sneered, lacking any computable emotion in her voice.

"HIGH GOD WILLOW IS RIGHT. HOW DO WE 'DEAL' WITH SOMEONE THAT HAS STRONGER MAGIC THAN US AND CAN SAP OUR ENERGY?" WX-78 said, his monotone voice somehow was sour with disbelief in his creator.

The others only made it worse. "Bah! Wilsön has löst it! He was the first tö have his energy drained!" Wigfred shouted. "We don't think that it's going to make things much better..." Webber sighed. "Tiny- er- High God Wilson knows better than to jump right in," Wolfgang observed. This was followed by ever more meaningless comments and resentful questions.

Wilson slapped himself mentally. What mess had he caused?