Chapter 29

Wilson followed Charlie through the castles shadowy corridors, casting nervous glanced at the former queen. She did not look back at him, meaning escape could be really easy. But he did not run. He feared if he did the shadows would reach out and grab him before he could get away. So he followed Charlie, out of fear.

They soon arrived at the Royal Corridor. Charlie looked at Wilson and pointed down the hall, then melted into the floor. He did as she had motioned, a little shocked as the torches lit as he passed them. Must be so he didn't feel like wandering off into the blackness to face shadows.

He continued down, occasionally glancing at the black abyss that was outside the torchlight. He would see eyes now and then, Shadow Creatures watching him to make sure he continued forward. He tried to turn back, but the torches behind him had unlit themselves, making returning too risky. So he pressed on, becoming more paranoid as he went.

And just like that, he was facing Maxwell, sitting in the Nightmare Throne. He held a cold gaze that would make the ice god jealous if he weren't so scared. He was still clad in black, but the crown that rightfully belonged to Charlie sat upon his hooded head. He grinned when he saw Wilson's reaction, pure, unhindered terror. He could look at that face forever if he didn't have a use for the mortal man.

"Good day, Wilson. Has my lovely Charlie treated you well?" The Shadow King asked, snapping Wilson back to his senses.

"As right as I deserve, I suppose. Could use a more comfortable bed," he replied sarcastically, managing to keep his voice steady, which impressed Maxwell.

"I see... Then again, you are in a dungeon, and I don't think you've earned your comfort here yet," Maxwell said, his voice coated in threat.

"Hm. I honestly thought that you had more respect for your High Gods, but I suppose you think that since I'm drained of any magic, you can just push me around. How utterly stupid of you," Wilson snapped, sparking his new king's anger.

Maxwell stood up, towering above the shorter male. Wilson didn't even flinch, angering him more. "You have a lot of nerve. Or a death wish. Either one isn't exactly healthy for you," he 

hissed, glaring down at the former god.

Wilson almost smiled. "Maybe I do have a death wish. I've suffered seeing my own Grue.

Experienced mortality. Been dragged here by your brainwashed girlfriend. And now I assume you're going to remove my Grue. Those come with things far beyond the pain of death," he laughed, staring the Shadow God straight in the eye.

Maxwell chuckled. "Well then, you will experience something beyond death, and you will truly fear me."