Chapter 31

Groaning, Wilson opened his eyes. He was back in the cell that he'd been in before, a terrible headache pounding in his head. Damn, what happened?

He was having a hard time remembering. Thinking was painful, moving was painful. Therefore, he did neither, laying there for a good while. Not sleeping, just staring up at the ceiling. He attempted to recall the events that caused this headache. Maxwell... That other figure...

His Grue.

He sat up suddenly, which of course hurt, but he didn't care. That bastard was going to use his Grue most likely to get rid of the other gods. However, as much as he was concerned about it, he couldn't do anything.

He noticed the weight off his chest for the first time, and he knew that it was his desire that had left his body. He then felt extremely lonely. He wasn't used to that feeling, and he felt like crying. Wilson wasn't the type to do something so childish, but now, he wasn't himself, and he felt the hot tears roll down his pale cheeks.

He never wanted this. At least, this part didn't. This part of him was far less developed, the part he had been born with.

His childish curiosity.

He furiously rubbed the tears away, trying to concentrate, though it caused him great pain. He needed to think straight. Like he did when he had his far more serious alter ego, even through excruciating pain. Like the damned scientist he was.

Fueled by self motivation, Wilson forced his broken feeling body to stand. He barely felt any energy, but it didn't matter. He had to get out. No matter what.

Now, several things began to catch his now short attention span. The patterns of the stone wall, the little chips and cracks in the floor, even the length between the bars. Everything seemed far more interesting, like any of it could be a way out. Which could be the truth.

He began to pull at stones in the walls, seeing if any were loose. One, in fact, was, one all the way in the back right corner, near the floor. Wilson stared at it for a moment, then began to pull harder, managing to yank it from the wall. Through it, he saw outside of his cell. Like the moron he was, Maxwell put the cunning scientist in a cell at the edge of a large brick of cube bar rooms. And even if he hadn't, Wilson felt confident that he could have made it out anyway.

The ice god began to kick at the very edge of the hole in the wall. More of the stones came loose and fell, making the hole large enough to crawl out of. Wilson shimmied on through his escape hole, breath fast with excitement and pride. With a new sense of hope and adrenaline, Wilson began to navigate his way carefully through the castle.