Chapter Eighteen- The masks we wear

'Life is like a Masquerade, everywhere you look is people hiding behind masks.'

I looked at my reflection staring back at me in the large oval carved mirror. My blonde hair was loosely tousled into curls in a elegant up do, my make up a heavy smokey eye with stark black lips, my blue eyes shining brightly through the dark make up. My eyes traveled down to my dress, a three quarter sleeve lace black bodice with a sweet heart neckline that dropped in a full skirt of black tool that draped down at the back into a modest train, upon my feet a pair of black suede heels. I looked at myself as if I had never seen myself this plainly before, I was not a little girl anymore staring back at me was a woman and that terrified me. I looked down at the vanity table, upon which lay the finishing touch, a delicate gold mask, encrusted with crystals, I carefully picked it up and placed it over my face, taking one last look at the finished look.
"Wow, you look like an angel, a dark angel," I turned around to see Amber stood behind me, staring at me her mouth agog,
"You look beautiful Amber," I smiled, she wore a tight fitting floor length red gown with a scooped neck and an open back, it glimmered in the candle light from the thousands of tiny crystals that decorated the whole of the fine fabric, her look completed by her deep red lips and red hair that I had helped her to work into a high up sleek pony tail, her elegant silver mask which also glittered with crystals. She smiled back at me,
"Well," she breathed "its time," I nodded at her taking in a deep breath. She held out her arm to me, which I took as we walked down into the common room together. There waiting in the common room among a few other excited Gryffindor's was Florian, I had to admit he had scrubbed up well, he wore a deep red well tailored suit to match Amber's dress, with a simple black mask.
"My lady," He smiled as he saw Amber, he took her hand and brushed it lightly with his lips, Amber giggled. Feeling just a little like a spare part I smiled awkwardly and excused myself. I ignored the few looks I received as I walked through the common room and out into the corridor to make my way to the bottom of the grand staircase. I had agreed to meet Lazarus there as Tom and Wiglaf would already be within the Great Hall, taking care of their Prefect Duties before the party entered full swing. I walked down the stairs carefully, using the banister for support in my heels, my dress making a swooshing sound as it trailed after me down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs a dark haired boy turned around, he wore a black tailcoat with gold embroidery around the seams, a white ruffled shirt underneath coupled with a black waist coat and trousers. He wore a split black and gold mask, but there was no mistaking him as he looked up at me as I descended the stairs towards him.
"You look very dapper Lazarus," I smiled as I reached him. He did not reply immediately he was still staring at me, an almost transfixed expression under his mask.
"Erm thank you, you look, you look..." Lazarus stuttered, I smiled at him warmly,
"Beautiful," he finished, I blushed slightly and smiled a full smile.
"Shall we," I smiled,
"Yes, yes," Lazarus replied, still acting a little flustered, he shakily held out an arm with a took. The large familiar doors flew open for us as we approached, yet that was the only thing that was familiar. I gasped, as I tried to take in the room before me, it was more magical than I had ever seen it, even more so than the very first time I set eyes on it. It was glowing a deep hue of purple, dead looking trees lined the outer sides of the hall, sparkling fragile cobwebs dripping from the branches overhead. The architecture had taken on the look of a Gothic cathedral, with large stone pillars and arches, large Victorian ornate chandeliers hovered above, shimming in their own light. There were round tables littered around the all room, draped in black silk with pumpkin centerpieces which had been decorated with various elaborate patterns of which shadows were then cast all over the tables by the flickering candle light within them. Entrancing opera music was playing around the hall, giving the hall an even greater regal feel. I stole a glance at Lazarus beside me who looked just as overwhelmed as I did.
"Its... stunning," I breathed,
"It certainly is. For all their complaining Tom and Wiglaf were part of something that has turned out to be... amazing," he agreed, on the mention of Tom and Wiglaf we decided to set off through the hall in search of them. All around us were throngs of masked people dressed in their best formal attire, I had even spotted some of the Hogwarts Professors, talking merrily and taking sips of pearly dark cocktails.
The hall seemed to go on forever, the sea of masks were making it ever more difficult to spot and identify those behind them. It was then that we made eye contact across the room just a few short feet away from one another, my breath left me as time seemed to slow down, the music fading into the background as I stared at the vision of effortless dark glamour before me, it was as if we were seeing each other clearly for the very first time. I was not the only one among all the people here, he demanded the attention, his aura strong and powerful, the men in the room gave him respectful looks while the girls, they gave him deep looks of longing, something that awoke a bitter defensive feeling deep in my chest. He was wearing a black suit jacket with a raised collar, its wide pointed lapels decorated with silver satin damask which reflected in the low light. It was paired with a crisp white shirt, a black fitted waistcoat with silver button details, thin black tie and tailored black trousers that were decorated by a silver snake buckle on the belt, from which a fine silver chain hung, his shoes a black shiny patent leather. His blue crystal eyes standing out through his silver mask which was subtly decorated with engraved Celtic patterns, the mask only amplified his strong angel like bone structure, his porcelain skin almost glowing against the dark backdrop. His dark hair pulled to the side nearly, a small strand falling over his mask, he looked like an unearthly God. As we approached him I felt my heart beat hasten, we were now stood face to face, mask to mask. His expression was unreadable as he stared at me, yet there was something different in his eyes at his looked me up and down, a spark, not saying a word, I bit my lip.
"Sooo..." Lazarus said breaking the silent tension, he was looking between us suspiciously, Tom then broke eye contact with me after what felt like a life time, turning his glowing blue eyes onto Lazarus.
"The hall looks fantastic, it looks like event planning really is your calling..." Lazarus continued, Tom went to speak but was interrupted by a hand upon his shoulder,
"Grisha, Lazarus well aren't you two a sight for sore eyes. You scrub up well," He smiled, Wiglaf had joined us, he wore his shoulder length dark hair pulled into a tight neat bun at the back of his head, his striking mask a mixture of a deep royal blue with bronze embellishments and white sections with small black musical notes. He did not wear a suit jacket like the other two boys, instead he wore just a satin black shirt that shined under the lights, with a black double breasted waist coat with bronze buttons, he had paired the simple yet elegant look with a pair of black trousers and matt black shoes.
"So do you," I smiled, nodding my head at him.
"I was just saying to Tom here that the event looks incredible, you have to admit it, even if you did resent organising it," Lazarus called over the music,
"Well if you have to do a job then you have to do it well," he replied, "We should grab a drink," he smiled, gesturing for us to follow him. As we moved to weave through the crowds, my shoulder brushed along Tom's arm, we looked at each other but I quickly looked away as Tom held my gaze, the hairs on my arms had risen on contact, I shivered as I shook my head and continued to walk towards the beverages table.