Chapter Eighty Four- Dangerous

I stared up the wooden carvings upon the roof of my four poster bed, my mind refusing to give in to sleep. Who was Lord Voldemort? Did that drawing symbolise anything or was it simply a drawing? The worst of it all was that I could not simply walk up to Tom and ask him... he would know that I had saw his diary... but then it had been an accident... 
I sighed and threw myself onto my side pulling the covers up higher covering the lower half of my face as I forced my eyes closed until I fell into a restless sleep filled with vivid dreams of a dark shadow named Lord Voldemort. Who would continually loom in the distance wherever I would go. 

"So of course you will be attending!" Slughorn beamed at me as I piled my belongings back into my satchel. 
"Erm of course Professor." I replied sheepishly. 
"It's not a formal affair, no nothing like that just a little get together is all. A bite to eat with good company." He winked, I laughed nervously as I beamed up at him with a bright fake smile. 
"I look forward to it Professor." 
"Excellent! I will see you and your fellow members at seven pm in my office," he whispered tapping the side of his nose with one sausage like finger. 
I grimaced as I turned to leave the classroom. Great, an obnoxious 'casual dinner party' was all I needed. 

"I suppose you two have been coaxed into this 'get together' as well." Lazarus rolled in eyes as we sat in the courtyard that dinner time, he had recovered well from the antidote Tom had administered thank Merlin.
"It would appear so." Wiglaf replied with a sigh not bothering to take his nose out of his textbook.
"I expect Riddle will also be attending." Lazarus added. He had not seemed to hold much of a grudge for Riddle surprisingly... he seemed to have been much more annoyed at Riddle when he had danced with me at the ball as opposed to when his poison had almost killed him. Then again I had caught him and Wiglaf whispering and sharing suspicious knowing glances with each other often quickly dropping their subject of conversation whenever I would approach them. 
"I expect so." I replied, "Has Riddle been in any of your classes today Wiglaf?" I asked. 
"Hmm... he was in first period." he mumbled tracing the sentence that he was reading with his long ring clad fingers. "Ancient Runes. I didn't get to talk to him mind you." he added offhandedly, I nodded. 
"speak of the devil," Lazarus nodded over to the open corridor surrounding the courtyard and fair enough there was Riddle surrounded by a small group of his Slytherin dependents, Celia included. I bit the inside of my cheek averting my eyes from them. 
"Riddle." He called when Riddle had gotten within ear shot. He stopped short and turned around to face us clearly not realising that we were here until now. The rest of the group also stopped, staring down at Lazarus as if he was the most disgusting thing they had ever laid their eyes upon. Riddle gave them a curt nod to which they instantly responded, walking on down the corridor without a backwards glance. Once they were a good few feet ahead Riddle approached us. 
"We were just talking about Slughorns meet up. There is of course no doubt that he has invited his favourite student?" Lazarus asked him a smirk playing at his lips. 
"No doubt at all." he replied simply. 
We each nodded apart from Wiglaf who was still sat with his head firmly in his book. 
"Concerned about our upcoming Transfiguration mock exam Wiglaf?" Tom smirked. 
"There is no need to be concerned when you put in the effort Riddle." he replied still not looking up to face Riddle, but Riddle merely chuckled. 
"I shall be seeing you all at seven pm." he smirked before turning on his heel, our eyes met for a moment before he followed after his little group. 

At seven pm sharp I walked down the long corridor leading to Slughorn's office. My heels echoing off of the stone walls I saw that there was already a collection of Students stood outside of his office, Riddle, Wiglaf and Lazarus among them. I barely had the time to greet them at the doors swung open. 
"Good evening my friends! Come in! Come in!" he beamed dressed in his golden tweed waistcoat which he had always been very found of for such events, although it appeared to become tighter each time he wore it. 
"Please find your name cards and take your seats," he smiled gesturing for us to walk over to the large circular oak table which had been elegantly dressed with expensive crystal tableware. 
"I thought he said this was informal." Lazarus hissed down my ear out of the corner of his mouth, I widen my eyes at him in agreement before walking around the table in search of my name. I found it in between Fabian and no other than Malfoy, I inwardly groaned this was going to be a long evening. I went to grab my seat but had it swiftly moved from my grasp I looked up to see Malfoy's arrogant face staring down at me. 
"Good evening McLaggen." He smirked gesturing for me to sit down. I snatched the chair from his hands without a word and took my own seat, he chuckled. I met Riddle's eye who was sat directly opposite me an amused glint to his eyes. He was seated next to Slughorn of course, with Lestrange on his other side. The first few buttons of his crisp white shirt undone, his sleeves rolled up neatly to his elbows revealing his strong forearms. I glanced towards Lazarus and Wiglaf with envy to see that they where both sat together to the left of me.