Chapter Thirty- Death at Hogwarts

I stood in silence beside Tom. I flinched as I noticed a trail of small spiders heading across the hall and towards one of the cracks in the nearby wall, strange... I had never seen spiders act that way, I was about to draw Tom's attention to it when suddenly the sirens stopped and a deadly silence fell onto the hall as all chatter subsided with it. Headmaster Dippet, Professor Dumbledore and Professor Merrythought accompanied by five other people, three men and two women who were dressed in thick leather black trench coats and large black buckled boats. Every eye fell to them, even the eyes of the other professors, Tom was staring impassively upwards towards where they stood in front of the top table. 
"First I must thank all of you for your timely response and cooperation, I know that this has been a traumatic experience for many of you." his eyes feel apologetically upon the gathering of small first years who were still unable to stop their shaking. Dumbledore however was looking straight passed them, his blue eyes staring fiercely in my direction but they were not fixed upon me they were fixed upon Tom, however if Tom was at all intimidated he did not show it as he stared intently back, blue upon blue. 
"I regret to inform all of you that tragedy has indeed struck our sacred school." his voice was grave and sounded strained, there was a wave of hushed whispers around the hall. I glanced over towards Wiglaf and Lazarus, Wiglaf was staring at the Headmaster but Lazarus had glanced over to us, I met his eye both of us expressing our disbelief. I turned my head back to Dippet as he continued, 
"One of our students, your peers..." he paused, "has perished tonight." at the end of this sentence the hall erupted into cries of shock and horror. 
"Silence!" Dumbledore called and the hall fell into silence once more. I looked to Tom but he was perhaps the only one in the room he did not look shocked, he looked once more expressionless, Dumbledore's eyes where still placed firmly on him. 
"I respect your concerns and curiosity and that is why I believe you have the right to know the facts. Miss Myrtle Warren perished tonight in unconfirmed circumstances," The hall once again filled with cries and shouts of outrage. I felt as if a brick had dropped down my throat into my stomach, Myrtle... my body started to shake as I shook my head, 
"No... she can't be... but not Myrtle I mean..." 
"Its horrible!" I second year girl wailed to her friend beside us, "Apparently she had ran off to the girls bathroom crying after Olive had teased her all day again about her glasses." he continued, 
I felt my mouth dry up, as my hands became sweaty... I had stood there and watched on why she was terrorised... I could have done something but no... I was one of the ones that felt sorry for from afar... I felt tears of guilt and shame swell in my eyes and fall thick down my face, leaving their salty trail upon my lips. I looked up as I felt Tom's eyes upon me, he was staring at me, his eyes blank... in that moment I felt angry, how could he look so calm so... unfeeling. I pulled my head away and looked towards Lazarus and Wiglaf, Wiglaf was staring ahead intently, one hand raised to his face pinching onto his bottom lip, Lazarus was had his eyes closed, his hands cupped over his mouth. 
I turned my attention to an empty corner of the hall as the girl I recognised as Olive Hornby rocked backwards and forwards on her knees holding her head, clearly unable to take the guilt of her part in her young victims death. 
"They are going to close the school for sure," a gathering of students where talking loudly together, "My Father is in the Ministry and he for sure will be one of them to argue for the closure, he wont me at risk!" one informed proudly, 
"Well that's right they don't even know who or what did it do they!? It could still be out there, we will probably all be sent home within days... I mean how safe are we?" 

I looked to my side to see if Tom had also overheard them, but he was no longer there, I scanned around the hall but I could not see him he was wasn't even with his little friends, who were all gathered together engaged in an intense conversation. 
"I can't believe it," Lazarus whispered, he had come to stand next to me with Wiglaf by his side. 
I shook my head, I couldn't seem to find the words to speak. 
"Where's Riddle?" Lazarus asked, 
"I don't know, one minute he was here and then he was gone." I paused to think, had Tom heard them talk of the closure of the school? If so although the thought of losing Hogwarts was a devastating and painful one for us all for Riddle it meant something else entirely, he wouldn't just lose a school he would lose his home. 
 "We need to discover how she died." said Wiglaf, his voice filled with purpose and determination, I nodded my head it was the only way to save our school and Tom's only home. 

Around fifteen minutes later we were instructed to head back to our dormitories, students slowly piled out of the Great Hall and dispersed in their houses towards their respective beds. As I bid Lazarus and Wiglaf goodnight I made my way towards the staircase once more, I paused as I reached the portrait hole and cursed under my breath. I spun around and jogged back down the corridor and down the stairs where I looked around the floor quickly, spotting my broom on the floor where I had discarded it I bent to pick it up, as I straightened my eyes met a sight which continued to haunt my dreams... the five leather clad strangers carried a stretcher covered in a white sheet... a pale hand flopped off of the side hanging limply as it was carried down the stairs and through the entrance hall. 
"Miss McLaggen," I curious old voice called to me, I turned to see Professor Dumbledore looking straight down at me, I realised that we where quite alone now and all of the other students had left. 
"Sorry Professor I came back to get my broom I dropped when the..." I paused, Dumbledore nodded to me with a sad smile, 
"Goodnight Sir," I nodded and trudged up the stairs once more feeling the Professors eye's upon my back.