Chapter Fifty Eight- The Carnival

The day of the carnival had arrived of the students had gathered down at Hogsmede in front of the Three Broomsticks, it seemed incredibly crowded compared with their usual Hogsmeade visits due to both first and seconds years coming along as well. 
"Tom! Tom!" I heard a familiar voice calling through the crowd looking around I couldn't not see the person whom the voice belonged to instead I pulled quickly upon the fold of Tom's cloak to gain his attention he turned around to face me looking already irritated by the large volume of people I gestured my head in the direction of the disembodied voice. Tom narrowed his eyes to listen and upon hearing his name rolled his eyes.
"Professor Slughorn Sir?" He called over the babble of students suddenly a head of thatched blonde hair bobbed into view. 
"There you are boy, did you prepare the portkey's?" He asked beaming at Tom who was by far his pride and joy I didn't know what Slughorn would do when at the end of next year... the thought hit me... what would I do at the end of next year?... and Lazarus... both Tom and Wiglaf would be leaving us... Tom's voice broke my thoughts as I turned my attention back to his and Slughorns conversation.
"Yes Sir, Rosier and Fodder have them. It was our plan to have myself and the rest of the Prefects leave for the carnival first and have them and yourself and the rest of the Professors follow along once everyone has been safely transported Sir." Tom replied smoothly.
"A well thought out plan as always." Slughorn grinned clapping his hands together, "I will relay the information to Headmaster Dippet and we shall commence shortly." Tom nodded respectful as Slughorn slunk back away into the crowd. 
"What are the portkeys?" I asked curiously. 
"A collection of things," Lazarus smirked leaning over my shoulder, "I just saw Rosier and Fodder with them I wondered at first what in Merlin's name they were doing hauling around an odd collection of gardening equipment. Rosier looks as if he is about to go on a digging exhibition!"
I chuckled. 
"Where is Wiglaf?" Tom asked. 
"He is helping Fodder I think, she was looking very... overwhelmed." Lazarus replied with a thoughtful look, Tom rolled his eyes. 
Suddenly there was a loud cough which drew everyone's attention towards the front door of the old pub where I could just about make out Dibbets old thin face.
"Students and Professors. Today marks a first in Hogwarts history and is a day that I am most proud to be Headmaster. Our very own head girl and boy along with their Prefects have worked tirelessly on this project in order to bring relief and hope to those who have affected by the most terrible events of the last few years." he now looked grave as he paused for a moment silence filling the usually bustling village square. 
"But today is a happy day! A day to be celebrated, a day of fun and frivolities and so without a further or do I hand you over to your head girl and boy who will segregate you into groups to be transported by portkey." The excited chatter started again with some first years even bouncing up and down on the spot. 
"Prefects." Rosier called over the chatter but little to no one paid him any attention, Tom sighed and pushed through the crowd towards the front myself and Lazarus followed behind him. 
"What have I told you Rosier," Tom hissed down Rosier's ear causing him to flinch as Tom pressed his wand to his own neck. 
"Don't get me too excited." Lazarus chuckled beside me causing me to poke him in the arm playfully. 
"Prefects." Tom's voice boomed over the crowd causing everyone to stop talking at once as his magically amplified voice echoed around the square. There was rustling of movement as the rest of the Prefects made there way through the crowd and towards the front, satisfied Tom dropped his wand from his throat and now took hold of an pitchfork instead. 
"I don't know whether you are going to start gardening or chasing down orges." Lazarus smirked at him. 
"Or use it to attach my enemies heads onto as a warning." Tom replied simply with an innocent expression. 
"Yeah... or that." Lazarus replied before looking at me with a 'he scares me sometimes' expression. Tom held out the folk as we all of the Prefects took hold of it, as the last person took their place the village around us began to spin as we were ripped from the ground I screamed as I felt gravity threaten to pull away my grip as we spun and spun the wind wrapping at us, I had heard of portkeys but never had I taken one before... I decided then and there as my brain swished about inside my head that I much prefered flying. Suddenly we can to jarring halt and began to hurtle towards the floor thinking as quickly as I could I drew my wand and caused myself to come to a stop inches above the floor before I lowered myself carefully, I realised that Lazarus and the rest of the Prefects had taken the fall a little harder.
"Remind me I need you to teach me that one." Lazarus huffed rubbing down his cloak as he got to his feet. 
"Where are Tom and Wiglaf?" I asked as I looked around unable to spot them amongst our small group, Lazarus went onto his tiptoes but soon dropped down again with a shrug suddenly something caught my eye I squinted... it was Wiglaf, Tom and Malfoy and there were casually walking through the air back towards the ground where they elegantly landed upon their feet. 
"Aww nice they couldn't have pre warned us and taught us how to make such a goldy entrance?" Lazarus complained folding his arms looking sulky, I just shook my head.