Chapter Seventy Eight- The Ball

I stared at the mirror before me hardly recognising the young woman staring back at me. Her golden hair tousled into smooth silken curls which lay across one shoulder framing her heart shaped face. A pair of bright blue eyes complimented by a layer of sparkling golden eyeshadow and dark winged eyeliner which was finished off by a smooth blood red lip extenuating her bow shaped lips. This was not the Grisha McLaggen that I knew, this was a grown woman. 
I dropped my eyes to my dress as I turned my body slowly from side to side causing the golden accents to almost glow in the dim light and the full glistening skirk to swoosh around me. 
I took a deep breath, I was late. I had not wanted to be getting ready and heading to the Great Hall along with everyone else (although Amber had shared her displeasure at this it was somewhat defused by me offering to perform my hair smoothing charm upon her long curls). 
I walked down the stairs towards the great hall my dress bouncing as I walked trailing along behind me like a long train of blood. The doors were already wedged open I looked out into the hall letting my breath escape my lips, it looked beautiful like a winter wonderland. Snow fell from the ceiling as large snow showered christmas trees covered in white and golden baubles shimmered along the outside walls of the hall and along the back wall. The usual fire's were now a fiery glow of liquid gold. Golden silken fabric had been draped over the walls reflecting the candle light. A mass of round tables with black velvet poufs had been scattered around the room covered in sparkling black tablecloths.  
Stepping over the threshold I began to walk across the hall, the hairs upon my arms stood on end as I felt almost every eye fall on me, I tried to ignore the murmured voice as I passed by. 
"Is that... is that Grisha McLaggen? She looks like royalty!" 
I bit down on my lips feeling uncomfortable under the scrutiny of so many eyes, I looked towards a table where the majority of the Professors stood gathered around. Slughorn was watching me mouth slightly agog his fire whisky paused before his lips, Professor Dumbledore's intense gaze burned into me as I passed by him. 
It was then that my eyes fell upon his, a piercing icy blue shining across the hall staring at me intently. He seemed to emit a glow around him, his shiny dark hair slicked back to accentuate his chiseled features. The shadows of his cheekbones and sharp jaw line a stark contrast to his pearly white skin. His fully black fitted tuxedo perfectly complimenting his slender shape as he leaned upon the edge of one of the tables, he was like a ghost to perfect for this world... a lost angel fallen from grace. 
"Grisha." I pulled my eyes away from him to face Wiglaf who had approached me. His long dark brown pulled back into a neat ponytail, dark eyeliner framed his light grey eyes. He wore a black tuxedo with a crisp white shirt and navy blue bow tie and waistcoat, he looked like a true aristocrat and the look suited him. 
I smiled at him, "You look handsome tonight Wiglaf," 
He smiled, "I feel as if all eyes are on you tonight. You look beautiful." he took my hand and dropped his head over it before raising it once more and realising my hand. 
He looked behind him as if expecting to see someone but instead doubletaked upon realising that no one was stood behind him but just then I saw who he had been looking for. 
Stood a few feet away was Lazarus staring directly at us, his mouth hanging slightly open. His chocolate brown hair was swept to one side neatly. He wore a black suit with a white shirt and shining silver waistcoat and tie, he looked incredibly smart he was not a young boy anymore this was a young man, I smiled at him. 
"Lazarus," Wiglaf called to him widening his eyes at him. Lazarus seemed to return to the present with a small shake of his head as he walked towards us. 
"Evening Lazarus," I smiled. "Don't you look sightly tonight, I think silver is your colour." 
"I...er... red is your colour." he blurted before wincing. "I mean you look... you look... "
but Lazarus did not get to finish his sentence. 
"Like a knutt trying to be galleon." a familiar sickening voice interrupted, I glared at the young woman stood before me, her tall frame staring down at me. I grinned there was no way she was going to get to me tonight. 
"You look stunning tonight Celia." I smiled widely at her and that she did. Her emerald green gown adorned with elegantly draped silver chains around her chest floated elegantly around her. Her straight ice blonde hair floating down her back. 
"Well there is nothing wrong with your eyesight." She snarled before pushing past me her hips swinging from side to side as she headed off in the direction of Tom and her other fellow Slytherins. 
"I have no words." Lazarus muttered under his breath shaking his head as she watched her retreat into the crowd. 
"Good do not waste any on her." I replied quickly flicking my hand as if I was batting away a fly. 
"Has Tom spoken to you?" I asked as we walked towards one of the tables. 
"Yeah," mumbled Lazarus as he stuffed his third canapee into his mouth that he had swiped off of one of the floating silver platters that had been floating their way around the hall. "But then he made some excuse about having to speak to Lestrange." he rolled his eyes. 
I craned my neck around the crowd of couples dancing around the floor. I could just about make him out sat comfortably upon one of the poofs his back leaning against the ball one hand resting on the table the other across his knee, his 'employees' as he referred to them gathered around him engaging him in some sort of excited conversation, he looked to be smug about something but it was not clear as to what... I felt a pang of dread settle in my stomach. I glanced towards Wiglaf who was also sat watching the scene across the hall intently a disapproving look upon his face. 
"I'm going to go and get a drink," I fixed Wiglaf with a knowing look. 
"I'll come with you," he replied returning my gaze. "Lazarus stay and hold the table will you, I'll fetch you a drink." Lazarus merely nodded his head as he stuffed yet another miniature yorkshire pudding into his mouth, I chuckled as Wiglaf rolled his eyes and nodded for me to follow him.