5. Pain, Betrayal and Comfort

"Zoya? Zoya, where are you?" Aditya knocked on their bedroom door before entering. He gasped as he realised the room's state.

It was messy. All their clothes were on the floor and a few windows had been broken.

But the room's condition didn't disturb him he most. What really disturbed him was his lone wife, who just sat on the bed sobbing away between all the mess.

"Zo! Oh my god, what in the world happened? Aditya gently shook Zoya out of her dream land.

Tears were still making their way out of Zoya's tired eyes. She rested her head against Aditya's chest.

"Zoya, you're really scaring me right now. WHAT THE SHIT HAPPENED?"

Zoya somehow breathed out. "Mahi... she, she had a divorce with her husband. She filed a divorce because her husband was physically abusing her. She... she was handling so much, and she never bothered to tell me anything." Zoya broke out into tears.

Her tears began making his shirt wet, but Aditya didn't see anything else apart from his wife.

He knew how important Mahi had become for Zoya, after their misunderstandings had cleared out. Their relationship had become so tender, so fragile, it could break any second.

As far as he knew Zoya, she would become protective of anyone dear to her. And now she must be feeling like a failure, unable to protect her ex-sister-in-law, yet one of her dearest friends.

Aditya rubbed her back to calm her down. He didn't say anything, aware that nothing could calm Zoya down now.

"I've failed Yash, Adi. He left this world thinking that I would take care of his sister. But no! I've ruined her life."

Aditya kissed her hair and hugged her tighter. "No, Zoya. It's not your fault. This is Mahi's battle. She chose not to tell you."

Zoya shook her head. "But I could've figured it out by myself! She was fidgety and nervous near her husband. How the shit didn't I realise?"

Aditya sighed and shook his head. "Not everything's your fault Zo. You didn't know, okay fine. But now you can do something. You can go comfort her Zo. She must be feeling broken and alone now. Now's the time you can make up."

Zoya looked at Aditya with big eyes. "You think... you think she'll like that?"

Aditya nodded his head, smiling slowly. "She'll love it."

Zoya stood up abruptly but then sat back down with a 'thump'.

She looked at Aditya nervously. "Adi... no matter how mean, or stupid or weird I am, you'll never leave me... will you?"

Aditya kisses Zoya's hand. "I've made a promise to keep you safe and happy always, Zo. Plus, I would be snatching my life away from you, if I ever leave you."

Zoya smiled for the first time that day.

"You're the best Adi." She hugged him.

"Now when will you tell me those three magical words?" Aditya chuckled and Zoya broke the hug.

"Idiot!" Zoya laughed.

"My idiot." She said as she pecked his cheek and laughed.

***

Hey guys! So I'm back with another update on divorce and stuff :( Sorry if I scared you by the title! HAHAHA
hope y'all liked it!

by your weirdo writer,
pooja :')