15. In Love

This book has 10k reads! :)

"Ugh." I groan, "Why did I agree to this?"

"Because you're a great uncle." Paisley laughs. "And an even greater brother. Harry and Jenna are going to be able to enjoy their anniversary knowing their kids are with someone who loves them." She somehow always knows just what to say.

I watch as the seven-month-old in Paisley's lap spits out his mashed peas. "This is not what I signed up for."

"Aren't you their godfather?" She asks, trying to give Jason another bite.

"Yeah, but-"

"Then this is exactly what you signed up for. You're parent number thr- Jackson don't you dare!"

My body turns, and my eyes widen in horror as I see my nephew about to dump salt in his little sister's juice.

Little shit is definitely Harry's son.

"Sorry, Aunt Paisley."

"Where did Hailey go?" I ask, now concerned with the location of my niece. My penthouse isn't exactly childproof.

"The bathroom." Both Paisley and Jackson respond.

"Jinx!" Jackson shouts, "You owe me a soda, Aunt Paisley."

"Nuh-uh." Paisley shakes her head. "You owe me one from the other day. Now we're even." I can't help but smile at the way she childishly fits in with my nephew; it takes skill.

"Dang it." Jackson mutters, disappointed. "I hoped you forgot."

"I didn't, now hurry and finish your dinner."

"Aunt Paisley," Hailey squeaks, climbing into her chair. "Can we make cookies now?"

Make cookies?

"Finish your last bite." When Paisley picks up Jason up from the high-chair, she catches my eye. "I told her we could make cookies before bed. I'll clean the mess!" She says, quickly, when she sees my face.

I will not tolerate messes in my kitchen.

"I'm going to bathe Jason and put him in bed; everything is set out on the kitchen island can you start with them please?" She asks me. "If they start any later it's going to be too late."

"Or you could bathe Jason?" She suggested when I don't answer.

"Who's ready to make cookies?" I clap, and Paisley laughs.

"That's what I thought." She'takes Jason out of the dining room, disappearing around the hall.

"Cookies!" Hailey shouts, jumping from her seat and running for the kitchen.

"I get to use the mixer!" Jackson follows his sister.

"Wait. Wait for me." I follow my niece and nephew into the kitchen. They're both in the middle of pushing chairs against the counter. "What kind of cookies are we making?" I grab Hailey and lift her into the chair.

"Chocolate chip!"

"Sweetheart," I say, cringing. "My ear."

"Oops." She giggles, grinning at me.

"Okay," I glance at the recipe on the counter. "We need the flour and sugar." Handing Jackson the flour bucket and a measuring cup, I look away to grab the sugar. Suddenly the mixer starts.