21. What Happened

"Where are you going?" Mark comes up from behind me and grabs the back of my jacket. When I turn I notice that Harry and Charlie are right behind him.

"To sit with my grandfather."

"He's resting." My grandmother glares. "Leave him be."

My jaw clenched, I make my way to a chair in waiting room.

"Are you really going to just sit here?" Her cries tug at my heart.

"Grandmother, what do you want me to do?"

"Apologize!" She yells exasperatedly. "Beg for her forgiveness. That girl did nothing wrong."

I can't apologize, at least not right now. Not while I'm buzzed.

"Then go home." She tells me, seriously when I don't answer. "Until you do."

I try to force myself to laugh it off. "Grandmother."

"Sebastian." My father who has been silently sitting in the corner of the room stands. My mother sits next to holding his hand, showing her support. They both look full of disappointment and it makes me feel like shit.
So, in an effort to make myself feel a little less shitty, I tell Charlie to text me with updates before leaving.

Daniel is waiting for me outside of the hospital and he wordlessly opens the door.

"Penthouse."

No words are spoken as we drive to the penthouse. There doesn't need to be. We're both in mourning.

"Get some rest, boss." Are the only words spoken, just as I walk away from the car.

"I don't want a dang refund, I want the room I paid for." A tall blonde shouts at the pimply kid running the hotel desk. Her whole body seems to shake with furry as she holds the hand of the sandy-haired boy beside her.

"Kyle, what's wrong?" I ask, approaching the desk. The poor kid is new and doesn't need to be attacked his first month working.

"Nothing Mr. Hayes." He waves me off before turning back to the woman. "Ma'am, I apologize for the inconvenience."

The woman and I make eye contact for only a second before she looks away and I wish I'd never looked. If I hadn't I wouldn't have recognized her and if I hadn't recognized her this sharp feeling of guilt wouldn't be suddenly flooding through me.

"Brittney." She freezes but doesn't turn.

"I paid for a room." She tells Kyle. "I came here expecting a room and I will get a damn room."

"Kyle." A pull his attention to me silently commanding he tells me the situation.

"Miss. Rhodes here booked a room a few weeks ago," His voice shakes and little beads of sweat start to form just above his brows. "but the reservation must have been overlooked because the room is no longer available."

"Give her a different room." I tell him. "And put the charges on my tab."

"Unfortunately were completely booked." He says, wincing when Brittney opens her mouth.

An idea comes to mind and I know it won't atone for my sins but it may be a start.

"Follow me." I grab the suitcases behind her and start walking toward the elevator, not checking to see that she's following.

"Mom, who is he?" I don't look behind me when the young voice speaks.

"Just someone I knew before you were born."