18. For you

"You can't back out!" Sage grabs my arm as I head toward the front door of the house.

It's been a week since Sage stormed into my apartment and tried to convince me I could win 'back', as she put it, Paisley's affections.

And for a little while, I thought it would work. Sage seemed so convinced that Paisley would give me a chance that I started to believe it.

Until she said something that causes my stomach to turn.

"She had to love you at one point to marry you, you can win her back." She had said.

"This isn't gonna work." I shake my head while gently taking my arm from her hand but she grabs it again.

"Why not."

Sighing, I turn to her. "Your sister and I had a contract marriage."

"A what?" She asks, her brows furrowed.

"I paid her to marry me. It's was the only was my grandfather would let me take over the company."

"Sage?" Paisley questions softly while her sister and I slowly turn.

She looks beautiful in a pair of faded blue jeans and her favorite T-shirt. I'm reminded of almost two years ago. My knocking on her apartment door, trying to talk myself into asking her to marrying me, deciding that a million dollars should be enough to convince her.

"Paisley." Her eyes aren't on me but they're on our house.

"It's beautiful." She breathes after a few moments.

"You should check out the back yard." Sage shoves her sister too harshly and she stumbles a bit. 

She lets out a yelp as I grab her by the elbows.

"Thank you." She mumbles not meeting my eyes.

"There's a pond back there, Paisley. Oh, and baby ducks!" Sage rambles before dashing away.

"I'm sorry about her." Paisley, finally looks up at me. Then at my hands still around her elbows so I quickly release her.

"She's fine."

We both stand in silence and after a few moments, she finally breaks it.

"So ducklings?" She grins shyly.

I can't help but release a small chuckle.

"This way." I reach for her hand and she lets me take it. 

"She's very lucky." Paisley smiles softly at me as I sit next to her on the bench. The sun is starting to set causing the pond to shine brightly.

"Who?"

"The woman you bought the house for. It's the perfect house, she'll love it." I go to tell her that there is no woman but she stops me. "You said there's no woman but can you really look me in the eye and say that?"

My heart rate speeds up as I consider what could happen.

I look at her but don't respond.

"That's what I thought. She'll love the house."

"I bought it for you." The words spill from my mouth before I can stop them but I don't regret it. She needs to know.

Maybe I won't make her as happy as Landon but I don't care.

Paisley's eyes widen a fraction and I can almost hear fucking tires screech as her babbling ceases.

It silent for a moment except for the pounding in my ears and I brace myself for Paisley's soft rejection.

But instead of actually speaking she bursts into a fit of giggles. "Funny." She smiles between giggles.

Convinced that I need to show her how vulnerable I am I grab her hands making her look at me.

"Paisley, I made the house for you. I had the brick painted for you. I had the trees set up to line the driveway for you. Why don't you see that?" I ask her exasperated and she quickly pulls her hands away before standing.

"Why?" Is all she says, her back facing me.

"Because I hoped it would make you want to come back to me." I tell her honestly, inhaling deeply. "I have to tell you something."

"Sebastian," Her voice cracks, and when she faces me her eyes hold tears. "Please don't."

My heart falls to the pit of my stomach, and I know I should stop but she needs to hear it.

"I went to Australia I was going to tell you there."

Her eyes squeeze shut and a single tear run down her cheek.

"A man opened the door and I thought the worst so I immediately flew home."

I reach up, taking a small amount of comfort when she doesn't flinch as I wipe the tear away.

"I was furious, that's why I ignored your calls and when you told me there was no reason to be angry I felt like I could breathe again. Then you were suddenly in love with Landon and I feel like I've been hit by a fucking freight train."

"Why didn't you ask me to stay?" She cries suddenly pulling away.

"I did!"

"Yeah," she rolls her eyes. "As your assistant."

Frustrated, I tug at my hair. "If I had told you the truth would you have stayed? If I asked you to stay, not in the guest room but with me." I step toward her. "Would you have stayed?"

"Yes," She looks into my eyes, whispering so softly I almost don't catch it. "Sebastian, I would have stayed."

A jolt spreads through me. No, she may not love me, but she would have been willing to give me a chance.

When I reach for her, she steps back.

"Paisley, I lov-"

"Sebastian, please don't." She begs, silencing me. "If you truly believe what you're about to say, then just don't say it."

My fists clenched, teeth grinding, I give her a sharp nod.

"I'm marrying him." She says, brows furrowed. "I am marrying Landon." 

"I'm sure you can find your way out." I focus on a specific lily pad across the pond.

"Sebastian."

"Paisley," I say as calmly as I can, still not looking away from the glimmering water. "Leave."

"Okay." There's soft rustling for a moment before I'm surrounded by the silence I'm used to...

...and I hate it.