23. Logan's Schemes

"He's gone!" Brittney frantically runs into my office. "He's not in the room." Before I can even stand she's pacing the room and tugging at her almost white hair. "I knew we shouldn't have come here!" She cries out, bringing her hands to her face.

"We probably just went for a walk." I tell her, standing. Her head shoots up and she looks at me like I didn't speak English.

"He's nine years old!" She screeches. "He never been out of our small town and now he's wandering around New York City!" Her pale face crumples and tears form.

"Brittney, it's fine." I approach her, "I'm sure he's just outside. Let's go look for him."

Forty-five minutes later we've search around the hotel with no sign of Logan. Brittney is on the verge of having a panic attack and even I'm feeling a little nervous. New York really isn't the best place for a kid to get lost.

Daniel answers his phone after the second ring.
"Daniel, the kid is missing."

"I took him to the pet store like his mother asked..." His tone is unsure, questioning.

"Um, did you ask Daniel to take him to the pet store?" I don't want to be mean, and I'm trying to remain calm but I have better things to be doing than searching for a kid whos only missing because his mother forgot where she sent him.

Brittney's brows furrow and she shakes her head. "Is that what he told your driver?"

"Put the kid on the phone."

"He's in the bathroom and I'm getting the iguana food we came here for. Kid told me he couldn't do his business with me right outside."

"Iguana food?" I question, and Brittney frowns.

"He doesn't have an iguana. Put your guy on speaker phone." She demands. "Mr. Diem," She says, leaving against me to talk on the phone. "Can you please put Logan on the phone, I don't care what he's doing."

On the other end of the line, the door creaks. "Hey kid," Daniel says sounding uncomfortable. "Kid?" He questions again after he's met with silence. "Motherfucker." He mutters after a few moments.

"What?" A frantic Brittney snatches my phone, almost dropping it. "What's wrong?"

"Boss, kid's gone."

"You better be joking." Brittney looks at me borderline hysteric. "He's joking right? He not joking?" She cries just as my mouth opens.

"Where are you?" I ask Daniel once I've managed to pry my cell from Brittney's trembling hands.

"That pet store by Freemont." Daniel pauses before continuing. "Do you think-"

A string of curses leaves my mouth when I realize what he's about to ask. "Meet me at Landon Michael's." I hang up, not waiting for a response.

By the time we pull into Landon's driveway, Brittney's nervous nail tapping has brought me to the brink of insanity.

She's out of the the car before I even put it in park. With rapid strides, she makes it to the door in what has to be record time. I, on the other hand, move slowing trying to block memories that occurred here only a day ago.

I remember the absolute fury that filled me when Landon kissed Paisley. Kissed her in a way I've spent almost a year wanting to do. Then, as if purposely adding fuel to my burning rage, he called her his girl.

"I love you." Paisley had whispered so softly and I spent what felt like forever telling myself I had imagined it.

I was confused, hurt, and angry that she would still marry Landon. And when she told me she would call of the wedding all pain I'd been dealing g with for months vanished. All I wanted to do was pull her to me. Erase every memory of Landon she had and overwhelm her senses.

But she had to ask that question. One that wasn't my place to answer, so I lied. The biggest mistake I've made yet, and the one that truly cost me everything.

"Tell Brittney I said hi." Her voice in that moment broke me and I knew there was no going back, I had lost her.

The dark mahogany door opens just as I start walking up the steps.

Paisley sees me first, just before her eyes travel to Brittney.

Not seeming surprised she smiles lightly, before stepping aside. "I was just about to call Sebastian, he's right through there." She points down the hall and Brittney runs.

"I figured you couldn't be far behind." Landon's tight voice rings down the hall as Paisley and I approach in silence. "Logan here was just telling my he was my nine year old."
He downs the rest of dark alcohol in the glass informer if him before standing. "I don't know how he came to that conclusion considering his mother is a whore."

I know my voice will worsen the situation so a remain silent, but Paisley doesn't.

"Landon!" She shouts at her fiancée. "He's a child and she does not deserve that."

"Logan, go outside." Brittney tells her son. "Now."

I nod at Daniel to make sure Logan stays outside and he silently follows the boy.

"I'm just saying," Landon shrugs, "the kid seems pretty sure he's mine but you were sleeping with Sebastian over here at the same time."

"It happened once Landon." Brittney somehow sounds calm even though tears are streaming down her cheeks. "And I was three month pregnant."

Landon laughs humorlessly. "So you slept with someone else while you were pregnant with my child?"

"Your child that a swore you would make me get rid of."

"I-" Landon starts then stops. "I was talking about a theoretical child!" He screams, his face reddening. Paisley and I meet each others eyes and I nod toward the door, silently asking if we should leave. She steps forward and screams as glass shatters just above her head.

"Answer the fucking question!" Landon roars, unaware that he's just hurled a shot glass as Paisley. All I see is red as I move to tackle him, but a small, cold hand grabbing mine. It's like her hold cools my rage.

"That kid isn't mine, get him and leave before I have you arrested." Landon spits, now standing only a few feet from Brittney and glaring down.

Logan suddenly comes running into the room, Daniel nowhere to be found, apparently babysitting isn't the old marine's specialty. "You don't believe me?" Logan asks his father shouting as loud as his little body allows. It's a complicated situation with no easy way to be handled. "Then what's this?" He asks, suddenly tanking off his shirt.

What ever Logan shows Landon causes him to look sickly pale. It's like the life is drained out of him and it actually concerns me. His eyes flicker between Brittney and Logan, then without warning he crumples to the ground.

Seeing a grown man at at his weakest, his most vulnerable point really does something I realize  as my stomach rolls.

Paisley lightly tugs at my hand, pulling me behind her without looking back.

Silently we walk out of the house and sit on the porch.

My mind and heart race as Paisley sits there silent tracing the pattern of my hand and I realize I'd happily sell my soul just to know what she was thinking.

She suddenly takes a deep breath, preparing to speak but still not looking up. By body tenses, assuming she going to tell me to leave.

"Can I stay with you tonight?"

***
This book is almost over!!
Comment please!!!