chapter four

Howard and Dr. Erskine wanted to have Steve over for dinner to talk about the procedure. Of course, Tony would be there too.

Steve arrived and Tony sat nervously at the dinner table. "H-hello Steve." Steve smiled, sitting on the opposite end of the table as him.

"Well, Mr. Rogers, it is an honor to have you for our program," Howard lies right through his teeth, still not believing Steve was the right one for the job. "No the honor is all mine."

They began eating and Howard would say some science nonsense and Tony would zone out. Then Steve asked, "So why me anyway?"

Howard began, "Well I have to be honest, I wasn't so sure at first. It originally was Dr. Erskine's idea, but it was really Tony who set it over the top. I mean this kid wouldn't shut up about you."

Tony almost chocked on his food. He looked up with embarrassment and saw that Steve was blushing. Tony awkwardly smiled.

"Well, Dr. Erskine and I have lots of work to do," he said looking at his watch, "but you two can finish up here." He picked up his coat and they left the room.

Tony and Steve were now alone. "So," Steve said breaking the silence. "What's it like being Howard Starks son?"

"Not as great as you think. All he really cares about is his work. But it's okay, I've gotten used to it," he lied.

"So what about you Steve? You have a girlfriend?" Steve's eyes widened. Why would Tony ask me this, he thought. He could feel his cheeks heating up. "N-no, not at the moment."

"Really? That surprises me." Steve's stomach dropped.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Dr. Erskine says you have a really big heart, and chicks dig that. Plus look at you! What's not to love?" Steve couldn't stop the blushing now. No one has ever said something like this to him.

"Thank you, Mr. Stark."

"Please, call me Tony."