chapter thirteen

"Steve, I know it sounds like a great idea, but where would we go? How would we get by?"

"Doesn't matter. We'll figure it out." Steve picked Tony up off the ground and pulled him in tight. "It's gonna be okay, I promise," he whispered.

Tony trusted him more than anyone. "Okay," he said, and they were on their way.

...

Steve found a train that was heading far inland, away from the city. He could tell Tony was still anxious about the situation. "Hey, don't worry." Tony was shaking him leg and bitting his nails, starring out the window. "I'm scared, Steve."

"No need to be. I'm right here."

"But my dad's still out there. He, he could find me." Tony's fear of his father was growing stronger and stronger.

"I won't let him get to you. I promise."

...

Howard was already on the search for the boys. He sent men all over the city, looking in every alleyway and corner. Still, no sign of them. But worst of all, he was drunk. A pistol in his right hand and a bottle in his left, Howard scoured the streets, looking for his disobedient son.

Suddenly one of his workers ran up to him, "Hey I think we've got him."

Howard ran to the train station and demanded to know what train Tony got on. He held his gun to the ticket salesman's head.

"S-sir, please d-don't hurt me."

"I'm not gonna hurt ya. I just need some information that's all. Now tell me. What train did Stark and Rogers get on?"

...

"See, this isn't so bad," Steve said as he crawled into the motel bed. Sure it wasn't home sweet home, but it would work for now.

"Steve, I'm sorry. This is all my fault. You don't deserve this. If it wasnt for my father, you wouldn't even be in this mess."

"Tony stop it right there. If it wasn't for your father I would have never met you, the love of my life. I love you Tony. And nothings gonna change that."

"I love you too, Steve."

Suddenly, there was a bang on the door.