14. From Now to Then

Gavrilo had enjoyed me very briefly before introducing me properly to Jack, who is one of the three people tasked with looking out for me. I was then allowed to dress and driven back to my place where I finally had my breakfast and then dropped dead on the bed for another half an hour - before going to work. Of course, the driver was still parked in front of my place to take me wherever I needed him to.

It's a lovely Tuesday that carries some last warmth from the retreating summer. The customers are therefore in a good mood, though I can safely say that the tip is literally always the same, no matter the circumstances. So while it's nice and fun that most people are a bit more chatty and friendly, the service just takes more time and that's it. I finish on time, though still glad to have someone take me back.

I eye the driver that looks literally the same as Jack and every other guy working for Gavrilo. He might be quite small, but that's hard to tell since he's sitting. He's shaved so recently that I can't even tell where the stubbles are going to grow back, or if at all. The large sunglasses ensure that his eyes remain a mystery. I frown at his reflection in the rear mirror.

"You're the same guy who drove me to work this morning, right?" I just have to ask. He simply smiles and leaves it at that, taking me back to the apartment complex in silence. It's a good forty minutes ride, so I doze off half-way, then wake up to the driver pointedly clearing his throat. I wonder how many times he's done so already.

When I get out of the car, I glance around. There's no one else except for the two guards waiting in the foyer. I'm all alone inside the elevator as well, though I'm sure there are cameras watching me. When the doors open with a bright "ding!", Jack is already waiting.

"Welcome home." He steps aside to allow me past him. Frowning, I continue on to my room, uncertain whether I should be talking to him or not. I cast a glance to the left, where I assume Gavrilo's bedroom lies, before taking the turn to the right. Somehow, I wish I could just slip beneath his sheets for the night. It's nice having a warm body to snuggle up to.

It feels a bit weird; walking through the hall with Jack trailing at my heels and Gavrilo nowhere in sight. He's the reason I'm here, yet it seems I'm only going to see him occasionally. One foot inside my room already, I turn around towards Jack again, sucking my lower lip into my mouth. The corners of his lips lift slightly, but he waits for me to speak.

"Does my master know that I'm back?"

"Yes."

I close the door behind myself. That question was unnecessary, and still, I'd asked. I push my hair back with a sigh while my thoughts stray, then decide on a shower. It's cold as fuck.

In bed, I wrap the blankets tightly around my shivering body and quickly type a message for Gavrilo, informing him when I'm going to be ready tomorrow. I toss and turn for a while, same as always, before my restless sleep finds me. I'm chased by dark figures and no matter how fast I run, I can't gain more distance until finally, they push me down.

I wake up with a start, panting heavily, and my alarm goes off a second later. I'm kind of glad that I don't have to try to sleep again. Really, I'd just not do it at all if that were possible.

I start the new day as I told Gavrilo I would, and also keep an eye out for my watchers. After all, I might need a chance for secrecy one day. Still, no matter how diligent I look around, I don't notice anyone following me. I briefly entertain the idea that Gavrilo lied.

After all my workouts are done and I survived another shower that leaves me freezing, I'm lead to the kitchen area two floors below. There's everything I need, so twenty minutes later, I'm sipping my smoothie while gazing out over the city that lies in the shadows of heavy rain clouds. Before I'm done with my breakfast, thick droplets are falling from the sky.

At ten, I'm kneeling next to my bed, all of my body ready for Gavrilo. I haven't heard from him, though, and he doesn't show up, either.

__________________________

Hey guys :D hope you're doing fine. If you want to read more, consider leaving a comment or vote. Always does wonders for my motivation hehe :)

XOXO

T.