First Impressions (OC x Yellow Diamond)

A/N: This was a request for Blue Pearl on the Steven Universe amino. They wanted a one-shot of how their OC, Black Diamond, and Yellow Diamond first met. I hope you enjoy!

Yellow held her hands together behind her back, staring out of the window before her. The stars were scattered aimlessly around the darkness, and the planet before their ship seemed enormous in comparison to this endless void. Yellow sighed, turning away from the window and sitting down in her control chair.

She pulled up the statistics for her new colony. It all seemed promising enough; no signs of intelligent or threatening life, ground in perfect condition for new kindergartens, towers currently under construction. All signs pointed to this working out perfectly, except for one thing; Yellow was nervous.

White Diamond was travelling a few hundred light years away to try and find new planets for potential colonisation. She didn't spend much time with Yellow or Blue, but she was usually there. Her presence was a kind of reassurance, a small reminder that she could take over if things went really wrong. But now that she wasn't around, for the first time in centuries, Yellow couldn't help but feel uneasy.

The door opened, pulling Yellow out of her daydreaming state. Yellow Pearl stood there, ending her hands backwards to form a diamond over her chest. Yellow rested her head on her hand, maintain her persona of bored authority. "Yes, Pearl?" She asked, mostly uninterested but still worried that something had perhaps gone wrong.

"My Diamond," Pearl said, bowing in a strange, exaggerated manner. "You have a visitor." Yellow was about to ask who, order her to tell whoever it was to wait outside for a few minutes, but the door slid open before she could even begin to speak. "May I present to you, Black Diamond."

A tall figure - perhaps just a little taller than Yellow herself - stepped through the door and into the control room. They looked around, seemingly impressed by the simplicity yet complexity of it all, and Yellow felt a little proud of herself. This apparently named "Black Diamond" had a relaxed smile over their lips, and the gem on their forehead peeked out from underneath a head of messy black hair.

Yellow stood and walked over to her new guest, waving vaguely to tell Pearl to leave. She did as she was told, and Yellow heard the door click shut behind her. She stuck out a gloved hand, meeting the guest's eye blankly. "Yellow Diamond. May I ask what business you have here?" Black's smile grew into a goofy grin, and they shook Yellow's hand enthusiastically.

"Hey! I'm Black Diamond, but you can just call me Black. I use he/him pronouns, by the way, so try not to be weirded out by that. I'm gonna be filling in for White while she's away doing all her colony stuff. Just dropping by to introduce myself and see how things are going." Yellow's eyes were widened slightly, but she nodded, trying to mask her surprise at all of this.

 Firstly, Black was the first gem she had ever met who didn't call themselves a "she" but she chose to not focus on that. Besides, she couldn't deny that they... he had a certain deliberate masculinity that most gems lacked. Secondly...

"You're filling in for White? Seriously?" He nodded, flashing that stupid goofy grin again. Yellow felt something twist inside of her, pleasant but not entirely welcome, yet chose to ignore it. "My apologies, it's just that you seem so... so..."

"Different from her?" Black questioned, tilting his head slightly and looking out of the window behind Yellow. She was going to protest, and say something else, but nodded reluctantly when she failed to find another word to explain it. "Yeah, well. No one's quite like White." Black stated, walking over to get a better look out of the window at the planet below. Yellow scoffed under her breath. Definitely.

"So, watcha doing?" Black asked, distractedly following departing and landing ships with his eyes and scanning over the millions of stars. Yellow went and stood beside him, following his gaze down to an incoming drop ship.

"I'm overseeing the colonisation of this planet." She stated. This wasn't usually a task she would have completed herself, but the simple fact that White couldn't be called on if Yellow or Blue needed help in any way had set her on edge, and she felt the need to oversee every task to ensure it's completion.

Black hummed thoughtfully, tapping on the glass with his finger. "Why? You don't usually have to oversee all this stuff, do you?" Yellow shrugged, turning back to the view from the window. They stood silently for a little while, simply watching the ships fly by and feeling the presence of the stars around them. Yellow never really took much time to stand still and just look out at the universe, and she realised that...

... It was actually quite beautiful.

Black was the first to break the silence. "Let's do something." He said, unprovoked. Yellow glanced at him quizzically, one eyebrow raised and arms crossed across her chest. He noticed this, and elaborated. "Like, let's get out of this place. We could take a drop ship and go anywhere you want. Why not?"

Yellow gave him a deadpan look, almost trying to telepathically tell if he was serious about this. When the childlike gleam didn't fade from his eyes and his enormous grin didn't show any signs of disappearing, Yellow felt the need to elaborate. "For starters, my subjects would go crazy if I suddenly went missing, especially my Pearl. And I need to be in the control room to command the drop ships. Plus-"

Yellow was cut off mid-sentence, and she felt herself being gently pulled away from the window. She looked down, and saw a black gloved hand clamped around her own wrist. Realising who it belonged to sent an involuntary wave of electricity through her, and she pulled her hand back quickly. "What are you doing?" She asked, sounding harsher than she had really meant to. If Black did notice, he showed no signs of it.

"C'mon, lets just see where we end up. Your gems can handle themselves just fine for a little while." Yellow still seemed sceptical, and Black sighed before walking over to stand in front of her and grab her wrists; this time she didn't pull away, and instead embraced the shock it sent through her. "You're way too uptight for your own good. Don't take everything so seriously. You don't have to deal with everything like a diamond would. Just learn to love the universe for what's happening in that moment."

Yellow looked at him in confusion, playing the words over and over in her mind. Perhaps there was some method to his madness, or perhaps this "substitute" leader was simply crazy. But she found something exciting in the ides of finding out for herself.

This time, she allowed herself to be pulled along.

A/N: Awwww, this one is fluffier than the other one, right? see, I can write stuff other than angst.

Thank you for reading! Please remember to vote, share, and comment; it helps more than you think!😛
I love you, take care of yourself,
I love you guys, take care of yourselves. Adios, my lil' coffee beans. ☕❤️