Pride Parade

"Guys, let's go!" Steven called, slinging his hamburger backpack over his shoulder. "Dad's gonna be here soon, hurry up!"

Garnet came around the corner, closely followed by Amethyst and Pearl. Steven grinned, beckoning the over to the kitchen. "Okay, I have the face paint here, so I'll start with Amethyst."

"Sweet!" Amethyst called, jumping up onto the bar stool. Steven dipped the paint into the pot of hot pink face paint, and turned back to her. "Okay, try not too move too much." Amethyst nodded dismissively and flashed a grin. Steven turned her head to the side and began to paint.

"Why do I need this again?" Amethyst asked, swinging her legs back and forth underneath the counter. Steven pushed his tongue out between his lips in concentration, trying to keep the line even.

"Because," He said, wiping off the brush and dunking it into the purple. "You guys should show off your stripes for the pride parade. Everyone else will be too, even the straight people who are just there for support."

He dipped the brush into the dark blue, and painted the last stripe onto Amethyst's cheek. "And... Done!" He exclaimed, pulling back to admire his masterpiece. "Try not to touch it too much, the paint's still wet. Okay, who's next?"

Amethyst jumped down, and Pearl reluctantly took her place. Steven grabbed a different paintbrush and doused it with pink. "Honestly, I'll never understand you humans and your traditions." Pearl sighed, turning her cheek towards Steven as he set to work.

"It's a way of people showing that they're proud of who we are!" He exclaimed, dipping his brush into the yellow as Pearl hummed. "See, LGBT+ people have been oppressed for ages, but now people are starting to accept them for who they are." He took some of the blue paint. "So the parade is a way of showing that they're proud of the way they are and no one's gonna convince them otherwise."

By the time he was finished explaining, he was done with her face paint anyway. "Alright, Garnet's next!" He called. Pearl gently brushed her fingers over the paint on her cheek, standing up and going to sit next to Amethyst on the couch. Garnet seated herself in the chair and turned her cheek to Steven, who dipped his brush into the black paint and started to paint immediately.

"Are you excited for the parade?" Steven asked, and Garnet hummed in agreement. "Are Ruby and Sapphire gonna come spend some time there too?" He asked again, now working with the grey paint.

"They are going to be there," Garnet answered, putting a hand to her chest and smiling slightly. "They exist within me. So they'll both be there with us, even if not physically." Steven smiled and set to work on the white stripe. "But maybe they'll stop by to say hello." She added, and Steven grinned, dunking his paintbrush into the purple.

A knocking sounded at the door just as Steven added the final stroke to the flag. "Connie's here!" He yelled, jumping down and rushing over to let her in. Connie was carrying a backpack that was zipped tightly shut. "Hey Steven, hello everyone." Connie said, stepping past Steven and waving politely to everyone.

"Did you bring them? Did you, did you, did you?" Steven chanted, bouncing up and down on the spot. Connie chuckled and patted her bag. Steven gasped as she set it down on the table and opened the zip. She pulled out three multi coloured pieces of fabric and set them onto the table.

"Okay, I got one for everyone. Amethyst, here's yours." Connie said, passing Amethyst the first flag. Amethyst stood on the table and unfolded it, revealing the bisexual pride flag. "Aw, awesome!" She yelled. She draped it around her shoulder and started running around the room, letting it fly behind her like a cape.

"Okay, this one's yours Pearl." She handed Pearl another flag, which Pearl unfolded to reveal the pansexual flag. "Oh, thank you Connie." Pearl said, turning the flag around and looking at it from every possible angle. "You're welcome." Connie said, pulling out another flag.

"And this one's yours, Garnet." Garnet unfolded hers to reveal the asexual flag. She tied it around her shoulder in the style of a cape, much like Amethyst had, and gave a thumbs up to Connie and Steven, smiling slightly.

"Who's that last one for?" Amethyst asked, pointing to the last flag left on the table. Connie unfolded it and laid it out, showing off four stripes of yellow, white, purple, and black. "Which flag is that again?" Amethyst questioned, flicking at the corner of it.

"This is the non-binary pride flag," Connie explained. "Non-binary is when a person doesn't feel like they're a male or a female, so they identify as neither." The gems let out a collective "Ooh" and stared down at the fabric.

"So, who is this for?" Pearl asked, looking between the two children. Steven and Connie looked at each other.  Steven gestured for everyone to sit down, and they all did except Connie, who took his hand. The two of them spun around in a circle, clinging onto each other's hands and laughing wildly. Then a bright light started to grow, and grow, and grow, glowing more strongly by the second from Steven's gem until it became blinding.

When the light vanished, Stevonnie stood there. Their poofy hair cascaded down their back and they grinned at the gems. Garnet stood up and hugged Stevonnie, who gladly returned the embrace. They ruffled Amethyst's hair, and greeted Pearl politely. "So, yeah, the flag's for me." They explained.

They wandered over to the kitchen counter, picked up a brush and some face paints, and started to freehand stripes onto their face. It took a few minutes of rhythmic brush strokes and paint dunking, but soon enough the non-binary flag was painted boldly onto their cheek.

A horn beeped outside, and Amethyst looked over to se who it was. "Greg's here!" She called, rushing out of the door with her flag-cape flying out behind her with her hair. Pearl tied her flag around her shoulders, walking out of the door and down to the van. Garnet held the door open for Stevonnie, and they grabbed their flag and rushed down to the beach, thanking her on their way past. They all piled into the back of the van, and slammed the door behind them.

Greg was wearing a t-shirt with the design of the straight ally flag printed onto it. "Hey guys, didn't know you were bringing Stevonnie with you." They all nodded, and Stevonnie fixed their flag into a knot around their neck so that it acted like a cape the way everyone else's did. "Alright, well, lets hit the road."

A/N: I just had this idea and I had to get it down... because life. Plus, it's pride month, so I've gotta double the gay while I still have a valid excuse to.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed! Don't forget to vote, comment, and share; it helps more than you think! 😛
I love you guys, take care of yourselves. Adios, my lil' coffee beans.
☕❤️