.:5:.

Michael barely slept that night. How could he, with negative thoughts in his head?

Jeremy wasn't really there. Why would he be? If he's a ghost--if he actually came back--why would he stay with Michael? If he can go through walls and fuck with people's heads, why would he stay with Michael?

Jeremy couldn't tell what he was thinking, but he could see the look in Michael's eyes. He sat on his bed next to him, watching him intently. He was somewhat shocked when Michael suddenly sat up and grabbed his laptop. Jeremy looked at what he was looking at.

Ghosts was all he put into the search engine. He clicked on an article and read it. Jeremy took the opportunity to read it as well. He was always a faster reader than Michael, so he figured he had time.

Ghosts are, more often than not, referred to as make-believe.

Jeremy rolled his eyes and skimmed quickly over it. The first paragraph was just about different opinions on the topic. The next one interested the boys more.

When speaking on the subject of ghosts, many people bring religious belief into the conversation. How can someone come back as a ghost if they are on their way to Heaven or Hell? The only way one would come back as a ghost, as far as we can tell, is if they have some sort of unfinished business.

Michael muttered, "Unfinished business...?"

Jeremy was confused. He didn't have any unfinished business, as far as he was concerned. Michael closed the computer and set it down. He stood up and got a notebook and pencil from his backpack, then sat down again.

"Jeremy, can you write?"

Jeremy picked up the pencil and tried to write 'Yes'. It worked.

Michael smiled down at the notebook. "Okay... Tell me something only you would know."

Jeremy thought for a moment, then laughed and wrote, 'You ate a leaf when we were six. We were climbing trees and I dared you.'

He chuckled and nodded. "Okay, I believe you... Everyone keeps saying you jumped. Did you?"

'No,' Jeremy wrote. 'I was pushed.'

Michael sighed in relief. "Thank god. It was driving me crazy... Who pushed you?"

'Idk.'

Michael hummed. "We gotta find out. You didn't notice anything about them at all?"

Jeremy shook his head, but then remembered that he couldn't be seen, and he wrote 'No'.

"Damn." Michael looked at the digital click on his bed. 3:30. He nodded and stood up. Jeremy closed his eyes as Michael changed into his binder and pulled his hoodie on.

Jeremy wrote, 'Where are we going?'

Michael looked at the paper. "To investigate. I'm not waiting until tomorrow, dude. C'mon." He opened the door and walked out silently. Jeremy ran to catch up, grabbing his hand and following him out.

New Quest: Investigate your death.