SEVEN

chapter seven;
cranks

"THAT'S PRETTY HARD TO MASTER" Harriet said from behind her. She turned to the leader who's leaning onto the weapon room's door and smiled. Thalia. took the bow and gripped it tight. She took one of the arrows and slid it through the arrow rest. She pointed it at the target and pulled the bowstring. It hit right in the red dot.

Thalia turned to the leader who smirked and clapped her hands. Thalia let out a small laugh. "Yeah, okay. You can have that" Harriet smiled.

"You do archery?" a voice beside her asked. She turned and Newt was standing there, smiling. Thalia nodded and took the bow and arrow.

"Yeah. That's how I survived the night in the maze" she said, putting the quiver over her shoulders. Newt stared at her wide eyed.

"You survived the night in the maze too?" he asked. Thalia raised her eyebrows.

"Too?" she asked.

"Yeah. Tommy got stuck out there with Minho and.." he paused, "Alby" he said, whispering the last part. Thalia knew exactly what happened. Alby must've died in the maze. She didn't knew why she asked, but she did anyways.

"What happened to him?" she asked. Newt cleared his throat.

"He died in the maze" he answered. "Him and along some of my other friends" he added. Newt lowered his head and ran his fingers through his hair. Thalia put her hand on his shoulder and gave him a weak smile. She wasn't sure that he can see it, because it was dark. But she didn't care.

"I know how you feel" she started. "But you're lucky some of them are still here with you" she said, gesturing to Frypan, Teresa and Winston. She turned to him and he sighed. "My friends, I don't know where they are nor what happened to them. And the only one that I knew was Rachel, and she had tubes sticking out of her and was barely alive" she sighed. "I don't know.. I just feel like I've failed them, you know?"

Those words came out of Thalia's mouth so easily. Thalia doesn't even tell these kind of things to Aris, her best friend. And she's telling this to a person she met two days ago. Thalia doesn't trust people easily, and she trusted Newt in a blink.

"Hey, don't say that, okay?" he said. "It's gonna be okay in the end" he grabbed her hand and rubbed circles with his thumb. Thalia smiled. "We'll find your friends and we'll make things right" he said, smiling at the girl. She smiled back.

"Thanks, Newt" she said. Newt nodded.

"Anytime, love" he said, walking towards Frypan. Thalia was so grateful that it was dark. Because that way, Newt couldn't see the blush forming on her cheeks.

Thalia looked around a little more, and surprisingly, she found a lot of arrows lying around the place and she took all of them. She finally made her way to Teresa. "I don't think we've properly met" she started. Teresa turned to her and gave her a small smile.

"I'm Teresa" she said, sticking out her hand. Thalia shook it.

"Thalia" she smiled. Teresa pointed her flashlight to a pile of clothes down by the water gallons.

"There are some clothes if you wanna change" Teresa offered. Thalia nodded and went over to the piles of clothes. Most of the clothes were too big for her, but there was one jacket that seemed to fit her. She needed a jacket anyway. Thalia dropped the arrow that she was holding, along with the quiver as she put on the black leather jacket and zipped it up.

She put her quiver over her shoulders and took the arrow. She turned to Teresa and nodded. They went out of the room and Frypan and Newt was standing in caution. As if something was gonna came out of the dark and attack them.