NINE

chapter nine;
until we meet again

NEWT SET THALIA DOWN AND SHE LEANED ONTO THE ROCK. Thalia thanked Newt and he gave her a warm smile. Frypan handed her a water for her to drink and clean her wounds. He also handed her a bandage and she thanked him.

Newt sat in front of her as she opened her shoes and sands poured out of it. She stared at her shoes, amused and laughed. Newt followed, shaking his head. He got himself a bottle of water for him to drink as Thalia casually washed her wounds with it. Newt stared at her with an amused face.

"How are you so casual with this?" he asked. Thalia stopped and raised her eyebrows.

"With what?" she asked.

"You're acting like this is a papercut when really, a knife cut your leg" he answered. Thalia let out a laugh and shrugged.

"I don't know. I just don't want people to worry about me, I guess? There are so many other things that they should worry about" Thalia said, wrapping the bandage around her leg. "And I know if I freak out, they'll panic and it'll seem like a big deal, when truthfully, it's just a cut" she said. Thalia tied the end of the bandage in a knot and brushed her hands together.

Newt stared at the girl in admiration. She seemed so strong, probably even stronger than he is at this point. But, he didn't know the amount of walls she built to look that strong. Thalia caught him staring and he smiled at her, she smiled back. Their gaze broke when they heard a gasp from beside her.

Winston woke up from his sleep and he then suddenly grabbed a gun from Minho's bag and pointed it at himself. "Winston, stop!" Thalia yelled. Frypan moved Winston's arm and the bullet missed. He took the gun from Winston and stood in front of him.

Thomas and Teresa came and they all circled him. Thalia stood, ignoring the pain on her left leg, staring at Winston in horror. "What happened?" Thomas asked.

"I don't know! He just woke up and grabbed the gun and he tried to..." Frypan trailed off. Thomas turned to him and Winston was panting and throwing up black liquid out of his mouth.

Winston sighed and laid down, breathing heavily. "It's growing inside me.." he said, lifting up his shirt. His stomach was dark purple and veins were sticking out of it.

"Oh my god" Thalia said. Thalia shook her head. "Winston, we're gonna figure something out, okay? You're gonna be oka-"

"Thalia, I'm not gonna make it" he whispered. A small part of her knew that, she just didn't want to admit it to herself. Silence hung over them.

"Don't let me turn into one of those things... please" he whispered. Thalia noticed a small nod from Newt and he walked over to Frypan, grabbing the gun.

"Newt" Thalia called out. He didn't stop and handed the gun to Winston.

"Thank you" Winston said. "Now, get out of here" he added. Thalia stared at her friend, tears fighting to come out.

"Goodbye, Winston" Newt said, standing up. Winston nodded and a small smile appeared from his lips. Newt walked over to his bag and grabbed it.

"We hate the word goodbye in our maze" Aris spoke up behind her. Everyone stopped and turned to him. A small smile appeared on Thalia's lips.

"So we decided to not use the word goodbye anymore" Thalia said, looking at Newt. She turned to Winston. "It's just simply... until we meet again" she said, her voice cracking. Winston nodded and smiled.

"Until we meet again, Thalia" he said. Thalia smiled at the boy. She slung her quiver over her shoulders and clutched the bow in her arms. Thomas, Minho, Frypan, Teresa and Aris had already walked away. Newt held out his hand, allowing her to walked first.

Thalia had seen a lot of her friends dying in front of her and she couldn't bare seeing another one. When they escaped, she decided that there should be no more bloodshed. She wouldn't let any more of her friends die. Yet, here she was, and she felt like she had failed her friends all over again.

Thalia turned to Winston one last time with tears threatening to come out, before following the rest of her friends. Just as Newt was about to follow, Winston called him out.

"Newt" he said. Newt turned to the boy. "Take good care of her" he said. Newt nodded.

"Of course" he replied. Winston nodded and sighed, lying his head on the thick sand. Newt gave him one last glance and followed his friends.

Newt caught up with Thalia and he walked beside her. She turned to him and he held her hand comfortingly. She gave him a weak smile and hand in hand, Thalia and Newt walked silently up the sand dune. They stopped when they heard a gunshot was fired. Thalia sighed and wiped a tear that fell on her cheeks. Even though she only knew Winston for a couple of days, she considered him as one of her friends. Newt squeezed her hand and she turned to Newt who had a sad expression on his face. She gave his hand a squeeze and they continued to walk, leaving Winston behind.

Until we meet again, Winston.

A/N
my bby winston deserves better ok bye

EDITED
31/05/2019