ELEVEN

chapter eleven;
stars

HER BROWN EYES STARED AT THE NIGHT SKY IN FASCINATION. There weren't any stars on the Maze, so this is a new thing for her. The bright dots on the sky fascinated her. It interest her how they could still shine so bright even in the darkest hours. She lifted her hands and let her fingers connected the stars. That one looks like a lion, or a donkey. She sighed and closed her eyes, and a dream, or a memory to be exact, played in her mind like a movie.

"You know we're gonna get caught, right?" a girl with brunette hair asked. A boy came into the view, he was holding her hand, and Thalia could see that they were in a some kind of rooftop.

"Yeah, and they can't do anything about it because they need us" he said, guiding her to sit down on a white blanket laid on the ground. He sat down next to her and pointed at the stars. The brunette girl leaned onto the boy's shoulder. "I say that's a lion" the boy said.

Thalia's vision was blurred, but she could hear the laugh of the two and the brunette shook her head. "Nah.. I think that's more of a donkey"

Thalia woke up to a sitting position and to her surprise, it was still night. She observed her surroundings and her friends were all still sleeping in their sleeping bags peacefully. She smiled to herself and tucked her hair behind her ears before looking up at the sky the image of her dream flashed in her eyes.

It was the same dream she always had ever since she got to the maze. The first memory she saw when she went through the changing, and now she remembered that memory all too well. She was curious. Who was he? Why is he always in her dreams? They must've had a special connection somehow. Maybe they're best friends, or lovers. Either way, she was determined to find the boy in her dream. After all, he was the one who got her through her hard times in the maze.

A raspy voice from behind her distracted her thoughts. "Can't sleep?" a voice asked that made her jumped.

Thalia turned and Newt was sitting up from his sleeping bag. "Shit, Newt. You scared me" she chuckled. Newt shrugged and Thalia's lips curled into a smile. "And to answer your question, nope. Just woken up by a dream" she said, pulling her hair up into a ponytail. By then, Newt already sat in front of her.

"A bad dream?" he asked.

"Not exactly..." she shrugged. "It wasn't a nightmare, but also not a good dream" she said. "I mean it is good, but-" she was cut off by her own sigh. Newt raised his eyebrows. "It's more of like a memory"

"A memory?" he repeated.

"Yeah, and it's the same one I've been having since I arrived in the maze" Thalia explained.

"What's it about?" he asked.

"There's a boy and a girl, who I'm guessing was me, and they were in some kind of roof top" Thalia started. "Then the boy told the girl, well, me, to sit and we were just looking at the stars and connected the dots to create some kind of shape" she chuckled. "And the boy said 'I say that's a lion' and we were laughing before I said-"

"Nah, that's more of a donkey" Newt cut her off. She snapped her head to him and stared at him wide eyed.

"Wh- how did you know that?" she stuttered. Newt let out a small laugh.

"Weirdly enough, that's the same memory I've always had ever since I got in the maze" he explain. Thalia's jaw was on the floor. It was him. It has to be him. He was the boy in her memory. "Was it you?" they both said in unison. They locked their gaze before Thalia chuckled, Newt following. "Bloody hell" he muttered. For the millionth time that week, Thalia was grateful it was dark, because her face must've been red from blushing.

Their laughter died and silence fell over them. "I knew you look familiar" Thalia said, breaking the silence. Newt nodded before replying.

"Yeah, you look familiar too" he said. "Do you think we had some sort of connection before we got our memories wiped out?" he asked. Thalia nodded.

"I think so. Maybe we were like best friends or-"

"Lovers" he cut her off. Newt turned to her and their gaze locked. They smiled at each other for what seemed like forever before a voice broke their gaze.

"Hey guys" a voice said. They both snapped their heads to the source of the voice to see Thomas waking up, the others following. Newt and Thalia must've talked that long that the dark sky turned light blue and the sun shone on them.

Finally, everyone was awake and they all took their bags to continue their journey. Thalia clutched her arrow and sling her quiver over her shoulder, before following her friends.

Newt jogged beside Thalia. Acknowedging his presence, she turned to him and smiled. "Hey" she greeted.

"Hey" he said. Newt pulled out a water bottle and drank it. "Want some?" he offered. Thalia glanced at the water bottle before taking it.

"Sure" she said. She drank the water, and she couldn't feel the thirst anymore. She gave Newt the water bottle back with half of the water inside and thanked him.

They walked following Thomas' lead until night time fell and they slept on an open field, seeing no shelter to be found. The sky was dark, unlike the night before. The stars were no where to see, which didn't bring any fascination to Thalia. She sighed and laid her head on the rough surface. She turned to Newt and through the feeling of thirst and hunger that they felt, they smiled at each other before saying their goodnights.

"Goodnight, Newt"

"Night, Thals" he said. And with that, Thalia gave in to her tiredness and her eyes closed into abyss.

EDITED
31/05/2019