Question

After dinner, Madelyn and Xander still have been communicating with one another whenever they had the chance. Xander still asked her out, but Madelyn made him promise that he would not take her to anything too extravagant. He didn't keep his promise entirely, and he took her out to expensive restaurants; it made her feel a bit uncomfortable. 

Eventually, Xander noticed it and decided to take her to simple yet nice places, which made her feel more at ease. During that time, she still hadn't received any news about her application to teach abroad. When Madelyn checked for progress, there was none, which made her feel a bit disappointed. However, as she went out on dates with Xander, she did a little more research about him since he mentioned that he worked in the business world. 

She was shocked when she learned Xander was the CEO of pharmaceuticals and manufacturing weaponry. Not only that, he also owned restaurants, hospitals, universities, and so much more. After researching him, Madelyn couldn't help but feel a bit out of place. He was like American Royalty. "Why would he want to go out with me? A nobody? I mean, he could have any woman he wanted."

On the other hand, he was curious to know more about her and everything she did whenever she was with him. Sometimes, men would lie to get into a woman's pants, but he looked genuinely interested when Madelyn looked at him. She noticed that throughout the two months, he constantly called her to see how she was doing. Madelyn felt that the constant calling and need to meet was a bit of a red flag; it was as if he looked desperate. 

Yet, Madelyn imagined it was a bit hard for Xander since many women would want to be with him for what he had and not for who he was. At the moment, she was in the library doing a paper for a class. She was typing her last paragraph when suddenly, she heard her phone vibrate. When she looked at the number, it was Xander. Madelyn didn't answer since she had to finish her paper and turn it in online. The young woman would call him back when she was done. About twenty minutes later, she was finally done, turned in her work, and left the library. Madelyn took out her phone and called Xander. After two rings, he answered.

"Madelyn."

"Hey Xander, I noticed that you called. Sorry about that; I was doing an important paper for half my grade. What's up?"

"I see. Well, I wanted to ask you if we could meet for lunch. I have something important to ask you."

"Oh, okay. I am in the Lincoln Library on 50th Street. I am going home first to wait for you-"

"No, I will pick you up. I know where the library is at. I'll be there in ten minutes." He hung up.

Madelyn was surprised by his perseverance. However, she noted that it was more of a demand which made her shiver. A sigh escaped her lips as she sat on the bench and waited for him. About fifteen minutes later, Xander arrived at the library. Madelyn got in the car, and he drove off to their destination. 

"So, where are we going?"

The CEO smiled. "You'll see."

"Please don't let it be something fancy."

Xander chuckled as he made a right turn. "I know how you are about those things, but trust me. I think you will like it." About thirty minutes later, they both arrived at a restaurant-like museum.

The young woman's eyes widened in shock; her body was trembling. "Xander, is this..."

He nodded. "Yup, The Modern. A restaurant in a museum. I know how much you like museums."

Madelyn was in awe as she and Xander got out of the car. The building had many windows, and on the front were gardens with sculptures; everything was green and beautiful. Xander led her inside the building; the museum section had many paintings and sculptures. Many people were walking around. When looking up, there were three levels. On the highest level was the restaurant. 

They both got onto the elevator, and Madelyn learned that people had to make reservations for the restaurant. "After we eat, we can explore the museum more. It's been a while since I've been to one," said Xander.

 Once on the upper floor, two waiters were waiting for them. "Mr. Maximillian, we have been waiting for your arrival." The two waiters led them to the top floor, consisting of a table, two chairs, flowers, sculptures, paintings, and a couch. "Enjoy your stay, and the menus are on the table. We will come back to take your orders when you are ready." They left, and Xander motioned Madelyn to the table and held out a chair for her to sit upon, which she did. They sat by a balcony where they could see the entire building.

"This is a beautiful place. I wish I had the proper attire to be here."

"Madelyn, don't worry about your appearance in places like this. Don't lower yourself to the expectations of people who only want to feel superior."

She nodded and looked at the menu. "Everything looks so good. it is hard to choose, but I will get the steak with fries and vegetables!" Madelyn noticed Xander looking at her amusingly; she blushed.

"I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable; it's just that I have seen many women eating steaks. Many prefer salads and nothing too heavy." He closed the menu as he poured himself and Madelyn water. "It's refreshing to see someone act as their usual self."

About ten minutes later, one of the waiters arrived and took their orders. When done, the waiter left, leaving the two alone. "So, Xander, you said you wanted to ask me a question."

Xander looked at her intently, and his fingers were fidgeting. "Yes, I did. It's been two months since we saw one another, and you made me want to see your lovely face every chance I get."

Madelyn blushed at the sudden comment. "Uh...thank you...."

"You are a wonderful woman to be with. You are smart, kind, and beautiful. You say what is on your mind, even though one may not like it; I admire that about you. My question is, will you be my girlfriend?"

Madelyn felt her heart skip a beat. He wanted her to be his girlfriend!? She didn't know what to think.