Teamwork

Morning finally arrived, and Octavio was in his study in his own home. He could not eat or sleep well ever since Madelyn went missing. Octavio knew beyond a doubt that Xander had taken her, but there wasn't enough proof. Also, he knew he was not powerful enough to take down Xander alone. He did need help, but other people in business and well-known families feared going against him since Xander was prominent in upper-class society. His thoughts were interrupted when he heard his phone vibrating, and it was from a caller he recognized. "Hello?"

"Ah, Octavio, this is Detective Sanders."

"Yes, I was expecting your call but didn't expect it to be early. Although, I'm not complaining about it. I take it that you went to interview Xander?"

"That I did, and Xander claims that he is shocked at Madelyn's disappearance and does not know her whereabouts." 

Octavio bit his lower lip. He knew that Xander would act the way he would. Xander was always a narcissist and full of himself since he was always used to getting everything he wanted, no matter what he had to do and what it cost. "Well, that was to be expected. Did you believe him?"

It was silent on the other end, but Sanders spoke. "I knew that he was lying. He was good at trying to act innocent, but I could hint at the sense of arrogance in his voice. I knew he had the young woman, but we don't have a full warrant to look over his house. Unfortunately, I haven't noticed or heard anything from her. Yet, I think she is being kept somewhere secret."

Octavio sighed as he hoped he would have a sign that Madelyn was in Xander's home, but he knew the businessman had built something to keep her quiet. "Do you believe me?"

"Without a doubt. However, it will not be easy to bring him down. Also, I could try to get a warrant, but I fear that Xander will try to use corruption and his influence over the case." Sanders was silent for a bit.

"What are you trying to say, Detective?"

"Well...this will be my last case since I will retire, and this will be the most difficult and dangerous case I will try to end. I am also calling you because I need your help."

This surprised Octavio, but at the same time, he wasn't. Xander would do anything to protect his reputation and to keep Madelyn. "Are you saying we shouldn't follow the law for this case?"

"To be blunt, yes."

Octavio couldn't help but chuckle. "You are quite blunt. Other than that, I will agree to help you. Xander abused his power for too long, and him kidnapping Madelyn is the last straw."

"Alright, I'm happy that we agree upon this. First things first, we need to gather some other evidence besides him kidnapping Madelyn. We need to look into his history. Luckily, I have a friend who knows how to go deep in the web and is highly skilled. He could help us. Alpleaseu to look at other records for suspicious activity in the business world. We need all the evidence and help we can get."

"We could put a little pressure on him where he can feel the heat, and I have a little plan that can do just that."

"I trust your judgment. Once my friend agrees to it, our plan will start."