The Party Pt.1

It has been another three months since Xander and Madelyn's relationship. Madelyn couldn't believe that Xander was like a teddy bear; he was loving, caring, and touchy. He seemed to be perfect, almost too perfect, so she decided to research much more about her new boyfriend. She had found many articles in which people who worked with him said that he was ruthless, coldhearted, and would destroy anyone in his way. The young woman also researched about the previous women he had dated.

Many of the women looked like supermodels, and something was interesting that she found a bit odd. Many of the women he dated mentioned that Xander was a perfectionist, and if something didn't go his way, he would give adverse reactions, some violent. However, since there was no proof of violence, many people thought these women just wanted attention or were scorned women who wanted revenge for Xander breaking up with them.

Deep down, Madelyn still didn't know what to think or feel about what she had read. Xander acted like a caring and loving boyfriend, but it's been five months of them dating. It was still too early for him to show who he was, and she would eventually find out if he were the man he said he was. Xander would visit her often, and some things changed when he did. Her old furniture was altered, and her old shoes were thrown away and replaced by new ones; Madelyn even got new clothes that looked to be expensive. She never asked for these things, but he still got them. It made her uncomfortable, and she spoke to him about it.

He always gave her a loving smile and called her "baby, sweetheart, my love," and many other names. Madelyn couldn't deny that it was sweet and that she liked it, but there were times when he visited her during his lunch break, after work and almost every weekend.

The young woman didn't think much of it at first but thought it was too much. One day, when Xander and Madelyn were on another date, she spoke to him about his constant visits, and she told him that even though she enjoyed his visits, she needed some alone time, mainly because of school and homework. He was understanding, and his visits were not as extreme as before.

At that moment, Madelyn stood in front of her mirror and finished putting on a black dress that Xander had bought and sent to her. Three days ago, Xander asked her to go to a charity event with him; he did not want to go alone. Madelyn was hesitant since she wasn't fond of parties, especially massive ones, but she did not want to leave him alone and decided to go along. Xander mailed her a dress that he picked out and told her to go to a salon where he hired a beautician to help with her hair and makeup.

Now, the day finally arrived, and she was ready to go. She was nervous, for it would be the first time she would go to a decadent people party with Xander. Madelyn looked at a mirror one last time. Her hair was put in an elegant bun, with little white flowers as decorations, a few strands of her hair were let loose and curled, her lips were in clear lipstick, and she had a bit of mascara.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard a knock on her door; Madelyn went and opened the door. Before she was Xander, she blushed at the sight of him; his hair was slicked back, and he wore a black Burberry tuxedo with a black tie, slack, and shoes. Xander looked at Madelyn and smiled. "You, my dear, look exquisite."

"T-Thanks. You look handsome yourself."

"Why, thank you." Xander extended his arm. "Are you ready to go?" 

Madelyn grabbed his arm. "As much as I'll ever be," she said while Xander led her to his car. Both entered; Xander drove off towards their destination.

The couple made some small talk, and as Xander drove closer, he spoke to Madelyn. "My love, when we go to the party, there are a few things that I need to let you know. First, the media will be there. If they ask you questions, ignore them, don't speak to them, and try not to look at them. They will try to get information out of you and annoy you to get what they want; don't let them get to you. Secondly, there will be women who will try to speak ill of you, many out of jealousy and spite. Stay close to me; some bastards will try to get touchy or speak to you about me."

While Madelyn listened to Xander, she could not have imagined that Xander's world was filled with danger, a danger that she never wanted to be a part of. The young woman then noticed his hand on top of hers, touching her reassuringly. She did not know what to think at that moment.

The couple eventually arrived at their destination, and both exited the car. Madelyn stood close to Xander as they approached the tall and elegant building that looked as big as two mansions. Sure enough, many paparazzi were taking pictures of the couple, and the questions came in. The camera flashes filled them, and Madelyn went closer to Xander, hoping he would shield her from them.  

"Are you two a couple!?"

"How long have you two been together!?" 

The questions kept coming, and the couple did not respond and tried their best not to look at them. They finally got inside the building, and the young woman sighed in relief; Xander put his arm around her as if comforting and praising her for doing what he instructed. Then, Madelyn was in awe of the surroundings of the vast building. Inside, some chandeliers were hanging up high on the ceilings; there were small fountains in different sections and tables of food and drinks. There was also a large and long dance floor where couples were dancing to soft classical music; people were talking with one another, which also echoed the interior of the building.

Madelyn tensed as she felt out of place. She didn't know what to do if anyone spoke to her; Xander sensed her tension and kissed her on the head. "Don't worry, my love. I'm here with you, always. I won't let anyone hurt you." He then put her right hand on his arm and led her deeper into the party. She let out a small smile, not knowing what would unfold.