8 - An Unexpected Visit

ALEKSO

     I press my lips against Edeva's shoulder and nuzzle my nose in to her neck as she sleeps. She curls up a little tighter but pushes her back against my chest so I can better hold her. I daresay this has been the greatest week of my life. I have only truly known my wife a few days but those days are more exciting than when I first became king. This inexplicable draw I have to her, this need to be near her at all times, leaves me feeling conflicted when I am alone with my thoughts, but when she is beside me I don't care to dwell on it. So what if I am obsessed with her so shortly after marrying her? That is a good thing. She calms me down. I promised I would be more merciful to my people, and she has held me to that promise several times.

     First there was the man who insulted me in the throne room. I wanted so badly to destroy him, and Kaz egged me on the whole way, but the moment I felt Eva kissing me to try and take me from that dark head space, both the demon and I managed to hear her.

     Then there was a stable boy who practically ran in to me after we went riding together. All it took was a little pout from her and I let the thought of ripping the boy in half go. He ran in to me, why shouldn't I kill him for it? Because Eva doesn't like it, that's why.

     Then this morning, I sought counsel and met with the men who had spoken down to her. She came with me, and Lord Bron had more to say on the topic. Never had I wanted to choke a man as much as I wanted to choke him when he called her a 'silly girl' when she suggested easing up on taxes now that the crown is no longer in debt. Edeva insisted he was entitled to his opinion, and she was entitled to ignore it. Well, there's a novel idea. I just hope I do not come to regret that.

     According to Anselm, there have been fewer reports of dissent in the smaller towns that still supported Henry I, though he still suggests Eva and I perhaps go on a tour so the kingdom might meet its new queen. I find that unsafe. Eva at least wants to spend the upcoming winter at Goldstone. Perhaps that is good enough. For now I will enjoy her here in the castle, closing my eyes and willing myself to sleep even if I am not tired.

     Alekso.

     And there is another shock of which I am just getting over. Kazaxon the Red, my demonic companion, my dark influence, has fallen for Eva as deeply as I have. I find it a little odd since she is a pacifist and he is a wrath demon. Her ideas for the kingdom are usually kind and require no killing, similar to Anselm, so it goes against everything Kaz is. Still, ever since that fateful morning in the field (which she still has not told me about) I hear him whisper his affection for her any time I look at her. I suppose it is better than him griping about her.

     What is it? I growl in my head. The fire has been tended. All is well. What could possibly be bothering you?

     I wish to see Edeva. Open your eyes again.

     Sitting up on one elbow, I look my sleeping bride over. The low fire light flickers against her angelic features, highlighting the gold tints in her dark hair. I pull a wavy lock behind her ear. She is safe.

     I am aware, I simply wish to see her. Wake her, Alekso.

     No. I can put up with you, but I will not have you disturbing her rest. I promised her a full night's sleep at least once a week.

     I want her to look at us.

     I try not to sigh. She will in the morning. You are like a puppy, pawing at your owner for attention. Does Eva own you now, Kaz?

     Silence. My lips pull in to a grin while I idly trace little patterns on Eva's bare shoulder. I hear a low, brooding Yes in my head, and I stifle a laugh.