Chapter 8: Uninvited guests

We arrived at the training camp in the Soviet front, we were not very welcomed. People were looking at us with annoyance, some were whispering.

Man 1:" Why are there minors here?"
Man 2:" Maybe visiting one of the higher guys?"
Man 3:" Don't tell me they are going to stay here."

"Don't act up Lucas, we don't want to cause trouble."

Lucas:"I'll try."

We were lead to an office and asked to sit down.

Lieutenant:" So, these are those kids that I heard about. I can't believe you tried breaking out a Jew, I admire your courage."

"Thank you sir, but can we get to the point?"

Lieutenant:"Fine, you have been assigned to the Panzer divisions. You will be sent to the tank academy for your training, after a week of learning the basics you will begin field training. Since you are 5 people you will be assigned to a Panzerkampfwagen IV D to learn a similar but weaker 75mm than the standard on the Panzerkampfwagen IV."

"Are this the rapid courses?"

Lieutenant:" No, this is the regular training but if you demonstrate that you are worth keeping, you will be sent to a longer and more thorough training. If that's all of the questions, you are free to leave. The soldier outside will guide you to your barracks.

The soldier took us to our barracks before it was bed time, we all got a bunk near each other. The week went rather slow, we reviewed strategies, commands, identifying enemy tanks and so on. After that week we went onto the firing range, Peter got the highest accuracy ratio out of all of the class, it was so high that some of the most seasoned soldiers were watching. Arran got the highest on the endurance test, we all knew he would. Marco shined the most in the academic aspect of the training, it was expected of a total geek. Lucas, well he didn't shine in anything but piss off the instructors, he did great in the vocals.

Instructor:" Gather your things, we're doing a simulation. We are going to see how well you can do."

There was seven vehicles lined up for training.

Panzerkampfwagen IV D (us)
Panzerkampfwagen II Luchs
Stürmgeschutz III B
Panzerkampfwagen I C
Panzerkampfwagen III E
Jagdpanzer 38t Hetzer
Volkswagen Kübelwagen

Instructor:"Alright, we will begin in 10 minutes. Do what ever you need to do because we will not stop until late after noon."

Supervisor:" I recommend that if you are gonna eat don't eat too much, especially you loaders. We don't want any 'incidents'."

With that, everyone started going their ways, some to do their business and others to grab a quick bite. After a while, people started coming back. We were getting to the tank until we realized that Marco was not there.

Lucas:"That's strange, he usually is the first to get places."

Marco:" Im back, sorry but something kept me busy more than I intended."

Arran:"What's with the old blanket?"

Marco was indeed holding an old grey blanket with both arms which was an odd way of holding a blanket.

Marco:" Well you see, I was about to get to that. While I was coming back, I found her."

He unveiled the blanked and we saw a small dark brown lump.

Peter:" What the hell is this?"

When he said that, the lump started moving and we saw a head looking at us.

"Marco, why do you have a dog?"

Marco:" She was by herself on the side of the road and-"

"We don't even know where it came from or how we are going to take care of it. Just put it back wh-"