Chapter 2 - Part 2

Lacey

I was a mess of nerves and anticipation. No matter how much I told myself I didn't care the truth was I did. Adonis had landed, he was back home. I'd woken up this morning with a growing anticipation to seeing him again.

It was inevitable. Today was Alex's birthday and he would be attending the party tonight. Reece had also been invited so at least had my friend to help me navigate the evening.

The party was being setup in the backyard.

Birthdays were pretty important in my house and were celebrated to the fullest. Even though it wasn't a significant birthday my mom had gone all out. At the sight of balloons and birthday decorations Alex had rolled his eyes and reminded mom he wasn't five anymore.

She had ignored him and carried on. He acted like it was embarrassing but honestly I think on a level he loved the attention.

My thoughts turned back to Adonis.

I tried to ignore the reminder from inside my mind and the ache in my heart that he had avoided me for the last three months. His actions hadn't dampened my feelings for him or the way my whole body felt alive with excitement at the thought of seeing him.

If my mind ruled over my heart I would have shoved my feelings for him aside and gotten on with my life. At some point I would have to find a way to do that because I couldn't spend more time hoping that he would feel the same.

If he did he wouldn't have avoid you for the last three months. A voice inside of me reminded me.

My hand went to my hair and I soothed it down feeling more nervous. I breathed in deep and exhaled hoping to calm myself. Reece was on her way over but my growing nerves pushed me to change my plans.

Deciding I needed some time out before I had to face him I went looking for my brother. He was standing on a ladder fixing a decoration in the yard under my mom's instruction. I wanted to suppress a giggle when I saw it was a 'Happy Birthday' decoration that hung from one side of the patio to the other. At my obvious amusement my brother threw me a glare.

There was no point in laughing because I'd be having the same when my birthday came around. This year I had a feeling it was going to be much worse. The fact that I'd come to close to dying would make my mother take it to a whole new level.

"Next year I'm not going to be home for my birthday," my brother mumbled under his breath.

"Will you do me a favour?" I asked Alex as he climbed down the ladder and my mom disappeared into the house, probably to find another decoration.

"What?" he asked.

"Could you give me a lift to Reece's house?" I asked, as I stuffed my hands into my pockets.

"Will you be coming back for the party?" he asked with a frown.

"Of course," I replied. "I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'm just going to go over to Reece's to get dressed."

"Sure," he answered.

Even my brother was different with me since my surgery. Before he would have been annoyed if I had asked him for a lift. Now without a complaint he walked into the house searching for his car keys as I ran upstairs to stuff some potential outfits into a duffel bag. I grabbed my phone just before I dashed out of my room and met my brother at the front door.

Inside his car I shoved my duffel bag into the back. The trip to Reece didn't take long and before long Alex pulled up in front of her house.

I frowned when I noticed a car I didn't recognise in the driveway. I saw a flicker of emotion on my brother's face when he saw the same car. Uncharacteristically he decided to walk me to the front door. But I reminded myself that my family treated me differently since my surgery. Nothing like nearly dying to pull your family closer and for them to appreciate all the small things they had taken for granted before.