Chapter 12 - Part 1

Adonis

Half way through my day I decided to ring Sam. Lacey had been in my thoughts constantly. The sight of Sam this morning standing beside had made me a little jealous. I had no right to feel that way, no right at all. Not only was I jealous that he would be sharing in her excitement of her discovery of her first overseas city but I was also jealous that I didn't have the time to take her myself.

"Hi," Sam answered on the third ring.

"How's it going?" I asked.

"It went well," he told me. "I've just taken her back to the hotel room."

I frowned.

"Already?" I asked, feeling a little unsettled.

"Yes, the walking tired her out," he explained.

Despite his explanation I couldn't help the concern I felt. After everything she'd been through there was no stopping it.

"Was she okay today?" I asked. "Nothing unusual."

He hesitated.

"I'm not sure if this is really something to mention but there was a moment at lunch when she looked like she'd seen a ghost."

Something twisted in my stomach. The last time she'd looked like that was when she'd made the pancakes. Was it possible she'd remembered something more.

"It's probably nothing," he assured me.

"Thank for the info anyway," I said. "Is she going to go out again tomorrow?"

"Yes, I told her I would be at the hotel room at the same time I was today."

"Great. Thanks Sam," I said, trying to keep my stupid jealousy from surfacing in my voice.

I shouldn't feel it but I did. It wasn't like Sam was anything more than someone doing his job but that didn't matter.

The rest of the day dragged on. My usual concentration was disrupted by the thought she had remembered something. I had to stop myself from calling the hotel room to ask her. This was something I wanted to find out in person and not over the phone.

Through rehearsals for our upcoming concert I missed my cue twice.

"What's up with you?" Link asked, frustrated.

"Nothing," I muttered trying to get myself together so I could make it through the rehearsal and back to the hotel.

Later when I got back to the hotel room I was filled with anticipation.

Lacey was sitting on the sofa watching TV when I walked through the door. At the sound of my arrival she switched off the TV and turned to face me. The look in her eyes stopped me. It was a vulnerability that made me putty in her hands.

"How was your day?" I asked, not wanting to reveal what Sam told me. I wanted her to tell me.

"It was good," she murmured, like her mind was somewhere else.

My eyes narrowed as I studied her face. There was something going on. Tell me, I murmured to her in my mind.

She stood up and faced me, her hands clutched together. She lifted a hand and brushed her forehead.

"I..." she began but faltered.

"What?" I asked with concern as I walked to her, stopping so close she had to look up to hold my gaze.

"I remembered something." I held my breath. Hope. "When Sam arrived this morning and told me he was a bodyguard I thought that it was so like you because you'd paid someone to watch over me before."