Chapter 19 - Part 2

Lacey

I picked up some papers and shoved them into my bag.

"I'll be back later," I told my mom as I passed the kitchen where the sweet smell of baked biscuits.

"Good luck," she said as I got the door.

"Thanks mom," I replied when I opened the door.

My mind was in my mission today so I was preoccupied as I shut the door behind me. The mob of reporters took me by surprise. I was rooted to the spot as they surrounded me. All of them shouting questions one after the other.

"Is it true you're dating Adonis Grayson?" A reporter asked as they shoved a mic in my face.

What the hell? My mouth opened slightly as I tried to make sense of what they'd just asked me.

"What?" I asked, feeling bewildered.

The pack of reporters began to shove me and I struggled against them but I couldn't break free.

"How long have you been dating?" Someone else in the mob asked as I nearly lost my footing.

A firm grip on my arm pulled me away from the group.

"Back off," Sam told them putting himself firmly between me and the pushy reporters.

I let out a relieved breath as I hung onto his arm. There was no way I would have been able to get away from them on my own. They were relentless. It had only been a taste of what Adonis had to put up with.

Before the reporters had a chance to surround me again Sam opened my front door, pushing me inside. The yell of the voices silenced when the door slammed close behind him.

"How...I don't," I babbled, trying to figure out what had just happened.

Sam remained tight lipped as he turned to face me.

"You're not supposed to be here," I told him as I crossed my arms.

"You really want me to go with that crowd outside your front door," he said pulled back the curtain beside the front door and it looked like the group of reporters had grown as they gathered around the front of my house.

I frowned. I didn't want him here, he was a link to Adonis but I couldn't refute the fact that I needed him. He dropped the curtain back into place.

"I don't even know why they're here," I muttered.

"What happened?" my mom asked wiping her hands on her apron as she appeared beside me.

"The press is camped outside."

I rubbed my forehead. Why were they here? There hadn't been a reporter in sight when we'd been dating so why now?

"This doesn't make sense," I muttered.

I looked to Sam but he refused to look at me. He knew something.

"How?" I asked Sam but he just gave me dismissive shrug.

Anger began to replace my bewilderment.

"How did you know I would need you?" I asked. I was more than suspicious. Sam hadn't just appeared out of thin air at the exact moment I had nearly been crushed by a crowed of reports. Either he'd been following me or he'd known.

"I can't tell you," he said and I glared at him.

How did the press find out about Adonis and I? I had to look online. Maybe I could figure out how they had found out about me.

I left Sam downstairs with my mom as I sat down in my bedroom and opened my laptop. I searched the Internet. It didn't take long to find out how the world had discovered my romantic relationship with Adonis.