Chapter 5 - Part 2

Lacey

It was unbelievable. How could he do this to me?

I lifted my hand to my temple to try and contain the anger that I wanted to take out on Adonis. He was being so mean.

I had a hangover. I felt awful and it was hard to think with the thumping inside of my head. My body was sore and my mouth felt dry. I looked at the shirt I was wearing. It was one I recognised belong to Adonis. Where were my clothes?

Looking around the strange room I didn't see any evidence of the outfit I wore the night before. I wanted to walk out. I was so angry with Adonis but I couldn't be sure his threat was empty.

Closing my eyes I tried to remember back to last night but there was only a dark nothingness that told me nothing. I didn't want to even begin to figure out how I'd gotten into Adonis' shirt.

My parents did okay financially but my medical costs would bankrupt them. I still found it hard to believe that he would do that to my family if I didn't do as he wanted.

I bit my nail as I tried to think of how I could get myself out of the mess I had made.

A nagging voice in my subconscious echoed what Adonis had already said. I needed help. I had been struggling for months without any success in getting my shit together.

I wasn't happy about being blackmailed but maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe there was a way to get me back to who I was before the surgery. I let out a resigned sigh.

For a while I sat contemplating my options before I heard a soft knock at the door. When I didn't answer the door opened slowly and my eyes met Adonis'.

He remained silent as he walked into the room.

"I've made an appointment with the specialist for Monday," he told me. I knew he was trying to help but being forced into something I wasn't sure I was ready for made me angry.

"Why?" I asked, feeling argumentative.

"I want to make sure you haven't done any damage with your excessive drinking."

I wanted to throw a comment back but instead I bit my lip and kept quiet. I couldn't argue that drinking while taking medication after brain surgery hadn't been my best decision. I could already hear the lecture I was going to get from Dr. Clarke.

"I've also got the name of someone you can talk to," he added. His gaze was direct and unwavering. Feeling vulnerable and guilty I dropped my gaze to the floor. It was easier if I didn't have to look at him.

"I've made an appointment with her for later on Monday,"

I was going to have to lie in a couch and spill my deepest most thoughts to a complete stranger. That sounded like fun. I clenched my teeth together to hide my frustration at being forced into it. I couldn't be sure his threat was empty and after everything I'd put my family through for the last few months I couldn't put them in a financial mess as well.

"Harp."

His voice pulled at something deep inside of me and I looked up to him.

"I'm not trying to punish you," he began to say. I couldn't stop the flare of anger that he was pushing me into this and I wasn't sure if I was ready.

"You could have fooled me," I bit back. He seemed to be surprised at my reaction.

"I want you to get better. I want you to be the girl I knew before the surgery."

His eyes softened and I got a glimpse of his feelings for the girl he'd lost in my memories, the girl I wasn't.

"You're doing this all so I can remember us so we can be together like we were before?" I asked watching him closely for a reaction.

He studied me for a few moments.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't want you to remember but the most important thing is to stop your downward spiral."

"What if I never remember?"

"That's okay," he said with a shrug but I saw the glimpse of sadness in his eyes before he masked it.

I remembered the kiss from the previous evening and I felt my heart skip a beat. The truth was I still felt the same about him and he cared for me. Did we need the moments I'd forgotten to be together?

"What if I can never be that girl again?" I asked.

"How I feel about you doesn't matter on whether you remember or not," he said softly and I felt my heart beat quicker. Staring into his intense gaze made it impossible to break the connection.

I loved him for so long but I wasn't ready to pick up where we had left off. He remembered how we had finally figured things out. He could remember our first time and I couldn't. It was too much.

As if sensing my inner turmoil he broke eye contact.

"What happened to my clothes?" I asked changing the subject.

"You threw up so I had to change you," he told me. Finding that out did nothing to make me feel better.

"Can you take me home?" I asked softly feeling like the idiot I was.

His eyes swept over me.

"I called Alex. He's bringing some of your stuff over."

I frowned. "Wouldn't it just be easier to take me home?" I asked. "I'm sure you have a pair of sweatpants I can lend."

He shook his head.

"While you sort yourself out I want you to stay here."

That took me by surprise. Stay with him. Being around him filled the empty but it raised other issues. The pressure to remember felt greater every time I looked at him. I would wonder through my memories tugging at the door that locked the most important memories of him. I would feel disappointment if I failed.

"I don't think that's really necessary," I began to argue but he held a hand up to stop me.

"I want you where I can watch you."

Realistically his life was hectic and he really didn't have the time to babysit me.

"You're busy and aren't you supposed to be leaving in a week?" I asked. I was no shrink but I was pretty sure it was going to take longer than that.

"I'm going to take you with me."

He was going to take me with him. I was dumbfounded.

"Don't worry about it. I'll sort everything out," he assured me confidently. I had no doubt that he would.

"You just expect me to drop everything and leave with you, just like that?" I asked feeling angry that he was just making plans with my life without asking.

"Yes," he said with a determine glint in his eyes. "I have commitments I can't get out of and there is no way I can let the guys down."

I felt a pang of guilt.

"You're not working at the moment," he argued. "It's easier for you to come with me."

"Why can't I just stay here and go to the shrink or whatever else you want me to do?" I asked, still hopeful he would give in and agree.

He pressed his lips together while his eyes held mine.

"No," he answered with a steeliness that told me he wasn't going to budge. Any hope I had that i would be able to change his mind deflated. "I left you here before and you got worse. I only trust myself to make sure you do what you need to get your life back on track."

I frowned as I crossed my arms.

"I don't want to be the bad guy who is going to make you face your problems instead of drowning yourself in alcohol."

I swallowed hard, trying to keep my emotions from breaking free.

"Your family and Reece are worried about you. They, like me, just want you to get better."

I felt the sting of tears at the guilt of what I'd put them through.

"Your surviving surgery was a miracle and I won't let you throw it away."

He gave me one last intense look before he stormed off.