Chapter 3 - Part 1

Adonis

I was dead on my feet by the time I got off the plane when it landed early morning the next day. Sleep had eluded me, and the only thing that had been on my mind had been Lacey. I was worried about her and it didn't help that every time I closed my eyes her bewildered look when she first woke up from her surgery appeared in my mind pulling at the protectiveness in me.

It had been the first time in the last three months I hadn't felt justified in keeping my distance from her. The only reason I had kept away was because keeping what we had from her had been like living a hell on earth. And I'd believed from the updates I was getting about her, she was fine, even happy.

I felt a pang of guilt, that in truth she hadn't and I had effectively abandoned her. Promising myself I wouldn't let her down again I got into the waiting car.

My mind wanted to go straight to her but my body couldn't keep up. I was shattered and I accepted that I had to get some sleep before I saw her. I had avoided her for the last three months, what was a few more hours?

I got into the waiting car as my bandmates waved me off. Inside the sleek car I allowed my head to rest back and I let out a tired breath. Trying to distract myself I looked to the side and watched the scenery on the drive home.

Home wasn't my childhood home anymore. As our fame had increased over the past few months it had become clear that living with my parents wouldn't work anymore. Strangers had started showing up at the house effectively stalking me.

The need to keep my parent's safe had pushed me to finally get my own home. It was near my old neighbourhood but in a more expensive and secure area. Between my mom and a interior designer the house had been fully furnished to my taste. It had taken some getting used to staying in a house that was way too big for just one person.

The house was empty and silent when I entered. I dumped my suitcases in the hall. I would unpack later.

I went to my kitchen and opened the fridge. I smiled to myself when I saw it was fully stocked. My mom had made sure I had everything I needed. Sometimes I didn't know what I would do without her.

I got out a soda and took a few gulps as I walked upstairs. After a shower I lay in my bed. On my stomach staring mindlessly into space I finally gave into the bone tiredness that I had been fighting for so long.

**********

The incessant ringing pulled at my subconscious but I tried to ignore it. But as soon as it stopped ringing there was only a few seconds of silence before it started ringing again. Frustrated I opened my eyes and searched for my phone which was beside the bed.

Gripping the phone while trying to focus my eyes I saw the caller ID briefly before I answered the call.

"What?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"She's gone," Alex said in a panicked voice.

For a few moments I blinked trying to understand what he was saying as I swung my legs over the side of my bed clutching my phone tightly in my hand.

"What do you mean she's gone?" I asked feeling my rising panic.

Lacey was gone.

Instead of answering my question there was silence. I stood up.

"We can't find her." My panic seared through me taking my breath away.

"What happened?" I repeated my question, this time with anger.

"She asked me to drop her off at Reece's to get ready for the party. When we got there Aiden was there. We never planned for her to find out about him."