8.

The next morning I woke up to a knock at my door.

Jake: Are you up?

I mumble to myself and get out of bed. I'm only wearing a large sweatshirt so I pull it down for I don't want to search for comfy shorts. I rub my eyes and head for the door.

Erika: I'm coming, I'm coming.

I open the door to Jake dressed in some extra clothes I grabbed yesterday.

Jake: About yesterday. I'm sorry.
Erika: No. I'm keep secrets from you and it's a mess because of me. I'm really sorry.
Jake: Well I'm really really sorry.

He snaps his fingers and places his hand on his hip. I laugh and I can hear his small chuckles.

Jake: Listen, you know I like you. I'm not going to stop out of no where. So, I'm just going to say this now. You look really cute in that sweatshirt.

I roll my eyes but I have to admit. The compliment made me feel tingly inside and a wide smile spread across my face.

Jake: It's true!
Erika: Thank you. So, what did you want?
Jake: I've just been thinking about last night a lot and I needed to get it off my mind so I came to apologize. That's it.
Erika: You sure that's it?
Jake: Pretty sure.
Erika: Okay.

I walk past Jake while closing my bedroom door behind me. I head downstairs and into the kitchen. I grab a bowl, a carton of almond milk, and some captain crunch.

I eat my breakfast alone. When I finish I start looking around the house for Jake. I even yelled his name a few times. When I got down to searching the basement I saw him. He was sitting in a recliner on his phone.

I quietly sit in a recliner behind him and wrap my arms around his neck. He jumps a little bit in surprise and turns off his phone.

Jake: What do you want?
Erika: Why are you in such a bad mood?

I unwrap my arms and sit back in my chair. He turns back to face me and neither of us have a smile.

Jake: I thought I could control myself. At least for the day. But Erika, I've been eyeing you since sophomore year. I knew under those crazy clothes there was a great girl. I saw your smile when you were with Courtney. I heard you laugh. That one July night when you jumped the fence and sat on the bleachers at the football field?
Erika: God, you know about that?
Jake: I spotted you guys while I was walking over with the boys. I saw Cortney under the lights and then you next to her in, probably, some of Cortney's clothes. All the boys thought you were one of the cheerleaders but I knew the messy bun.
Erika: We watched you guys play. Cortney couldn't shut her mouth about- about Anthony.
Jake: I know she likes me. I've known for a while.
Erika: What? No.
Jake: Alissa told me.
Erika: Of course.
Jake: I know that's who you don't want to hurt. Erika, I like you. Cortney's my friend.
Erika: But in her eyes you're her crush.

Jake gets up and climbs over the recliners to sit down in one next to me. We lean on the arm rests arms we talk to each other.

Jake: What if we secretly see each other?
Erika: That wouldn't work. They always get caught in the movies. It would be a disaster in real life. Plus, it's just high school dating. What's the point?
Jake: I mean. Out of high school people date because at the moment they're attracted to each other. It's how dating works. And who knows what will happen?
Erika: Jake, I do like you. But, I couldn't go behind Cortney's back like that.
Jake: You're trustworthy. Why do you have to be so nice?

He moves his face closer to mine so we're just centimeters apart. I can feel his warm breath as he talks.

Jake: Please, let's just give it a try. No telling people. Just between me and you. We have a day until she comes back. She doesn't get back till late and who knows if she'll stop by your place?
Erika: Jake.
Jake: Erika.