9.

Later that night I was lying in my bed on my phone. I got a notification from Jake and quickly tapped on it.

Jake- Meet me at the hospital in Lorain

I answer to him, get dressed into sweat pants and a white crop top, grab my keys, and head to the hospital.

When I walking by the entrance I see Jake on the curb. I sit next to him and lay my head on his shoulder.

Erika: Hi.
Jake: My mom's doing good. Mad about me not seeing Logan but happy to see me.
Erika: That's good.
Jake: She asked me where I was staying.
Erika: What did you tell her?

We don't look at each other at all. We just stare at the crowded parking lot, talking to each other.

Jake: Anthony's house.
Erika: Cortney and I fought but made up quickly.
Jake: I saw. I was hiding behind your car.
Erika: Oh lord. What did you hear?
Jake: Only the yelling part..and the last part. Those stupid broken pots. It broke my heart to hear you so sad.
Erika: My heart's been broken for years. I've gotten use to it.

He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. Our bodies touched and I grabbed his other hand and laid both of ours in between our thighs. He kissed my head, but I continued to watch cars leave and enter the parking lot.

Jake: My mom knows about Nerdstell.
Erika: I assumed that.
Jake: Huh?
Erika: Anthony told me about your behavior and your...your promises.
Jake: Oh god. Rik, it's just a way of-
Erika: It's fine. I know you're a good person, that's what matters.
Jake: Still wanna see her? She wouldn't mind a second visit with a gorgeous second visiter.
Erika: Let's go.

I look up at him and we have a quick kiss before standing up. Our fingers stay intertwined while we walked into the hospital and into Mrs. Paul's room.
He lets go of my hand as we get past the small entrance area.

Jake: Hi mom.
Mrs. Paul: Hi sweet cakes. Back already?
Jake: Thinking of sleeping over.

She sits up and spots me. I smile and stand there awkwardly.

Mrs. Paul: Who might this be?
Jake: This is my friend, Erika.
Erika: Hi Mrs. Paul.
Pam: Please, call me Pam.

I nod and sit next to Jake in a chair next to her hospital bed.

Pam: You're very pretty.
Erika: Thank you.

She squints her eyes then reaches for her glasses. Jake hands them to her and looks at me in confusion. I do the same to him. When we look back at Pam she has wide eyes.

Pam: Erika Costell?
Jake: Yes mom.
Pam: Since when did you wear that? Since when did you two hangout?

She said this in a shocking voice and almost a rude one. It wasn't quite there, but you could tell that it was hidden somewhere.

Jake: Mom, that's rude.
Erika: It's fine.
Jake: No, it's not. Mom, you can't say things like that.

He takes his mom's hand in his and leans his elbows on his knees.

Pam: It is. I'm sorry Erika.
Erika: Oh no, don't worry about it.

She smiled and I smiled back at her. Jake talked to his mom a bit and I would talk every now and then but for the majority of the time, I just watched. Watched how nice he was and how he told her, almost, everything.

Pam: Honey, it's getting quite late. Shouldn't you two be heading home.
Jake: Rik, you can head back. I think I'm going to stay here.
Erika: I don't know, maybe I'll just stay here as well. I'm too tired to be on the road.