chapter seven

THE WOMAN LAID IN HER BED, STARING BLANKLY AT THE WALL AS SHE HEARD COUGHING IN THE DISTANCE. She didn't start to notice the excessive coughing until Rick had told her earlier that morning that people started to get this sickness, it's kinda like the flu. Key word being kinda.

This sickness has killed lots of people from cell block D, and Danielle is starting to get scared that she'll get it and die.

As she got up from her spot where she was laying, she noticed she was a bit dizzy and disoriented for a couple of seconds before everything went back to normal and she heard the coughing again.

She sighed heavily as she walked towards the sound, feeling concerned yet, annoyed that someone is waking her up from her slumber.

Danielle made her way towards the coughing, and as she turned the corner, she had seen one of the people they had brought in from woodbury, who she recognized, walking quickly to the showers as he coughed vigorously. She grabbed his arm gently. "Hey, you okay?" She asked.

He nodded tiredly. "Yeah, I was just gonna take a quick shower."

"Okay, be careful." She smiled. He nodded in thanks and walked off. She inhaled sharply and started to walk outside to see if Michonne had needed any help with the bodies.

"Yeah, actually." Michonne told her. "You can take these." Danielle nodded and followed her order, piling the dead bodies over one another.

"Hey... Danielle." Michonne said hesitantly. Danielle looked up with raised eyebrows. "Yeah?"

"Were you in woodbury?" That question shocked Danielle. She didn't plan to talk about that traumatizing town for a while. She froze, her hand in mid air as she contemplated on whether or not to answer that question.

She took a deep breath and then looked Michonne right in the eyes. "Yeah..." She swallowed nervously. "Why?"

Michonne looked at her with squinted eyes. "I knew you looked familiar." Danielle smiled at her slightly, continuing to pile the bodies.

Within ten minutes of helping, Danielle had started to feel like her skin was burning, so she took off her jacket that she was wearing over her tank top, but still felt as if she was on fire. She swallowed lightly and felt her throat starting to get a little sore.

Michonne seemed to notice her odd behavior and spoke up. "Hey, you okay?"

Danielle nodded quickly, making her go dizzy for a second. "Y...yeah." She trailed off, almost falling over in dizziness.

"Let's get you inside." Michonne said, grabbing her arms and lead her towards the prison.

"No! Stop!" Danielle suddenly said, pushing Michonne away from her lightly. "I have it." She finished with a cough.

-

Despite Danielle's protests to Michonne from getting away from her, she brought her to the large room where the sick people were held and she carefully placed her in a cell next to Glenn.

"Seriously, I'm fine." Danielle told her and tried to smile, but ended up coughing vigorously, spitting out blood on the floor.

"I'm getting Hershel." Michonne told her as she walked out from the room.

Danielle was going in and out of consciousness, but before she fully fainted, she saw a person hovering over her. "It's okay." The person breathed out, stroking her face and her thigh.

Danielle pushed them off of her, but because of her weak state, she couldn't seem to get them off. "No! Get off me!" She cried, tears pooling in her eyes.

"Stop!" She screeched, punching the person in their chest.

"It's me! Danielle!" The person yelled, and she looked to their face, and saw it turned from the person who raped her, to Rick in matter of seconds. "Hey, hey..."

"Rick?" That was the last thing Danielle saw before fully passing out.

"Danielle?!" Rick yelled, worried for the girl. "Shit." He breathed out, grabbing the water from beside her, pouring it on her face, making her instantly wake up with wide eyes.

Danielle grabbed the water from his hands and downed it all in one, smiling slightly as she felt a little more better.

Rick looked to the girl in concern, and she looked back, a small smirk on her face, a smile Rick has never seen before.

A genuine smile.