chapter fourteen

DANIELLE MADE HER WAY OUT FROM THE BATHROOM, SEEING RICK READING A BOOK ON THE BED.

She cleared her throat, making herself known as Rick looked up at her. "Feeling better?"

The woman sighed then shrugged. "I kinda have to."

Rick furrowed his eyebrows at her in concern as he saw she looked a little scared about something. "What is it?"

Danielle's eyes started to tear up as she sat down across from Rick. "I don't... I don't know." She sniffled, putting her head down in shame. "I just- Hershel was like a father to me. He always made sure I was alright and he saved my life from that stupid flu shit." She chuckled, wiping away her tears and taking a deep breath. "And now he's dead."

Rick scooted closer to her, grabbing her hand hesitantly, which made Danielle look up with wide eyes, surprised at his action. She relaxed into his touch, leaning closer towards him.

"It's okay, he's dead now. He can't hurt you." He whispered to her, placing his hand on her arms and pulling her into him.

She closed her eyes and inhaled his scent, which was now luring her to sleep. Rick took notice of this, laying her down with her still in his arms and she snuggled closer to him, feeling safe with him.

He fell asleep with a smile on his face and the woman he loved in his arms.

-

A loud bang was heard from across the house, alerting Rick as he jolted awake, along with Danielle, who just looked at him with fear in her eyes.

Rick got up quickly, and hid behind the door, along with Danielle, who pointed under the bed. He nodded, and the two climbed under the bed quickly with Danielle covering her mouth to silence how heavily she was breathing.

Her eyes landed on the mans boots as he walked in, his footsteps echoing across the room. She squinted her eyes, hearing a slight ticking noise. Danielle looked to Rick, widening her eyes.

Rick noticed it also and he dug his watch out from his pocket and stopped it with his hands. The man walked on Rick's side of the bed, sighing slightly. Rick scooted over, his body against Danielle's at the moment.

The bed dipped, hitting her bad shoulder, and she silently screamed out in pain as she shut her eyes tightly. Son of a bitch.

It was not twenty minutes later and they heard the man on the bed and Rick thought it was safe to get out, but Danielle gripped his arm as she heard footsteps from down the hall.

The second man yelled out to him, probably trying to get him off the bed. The two argued about laying down, since the other beds were too small. The two of them started to fight and Danielle flinched at the sound of him falling to the floor, hoping the man wouldn't see them.

She was wrong when the man suddenly turned over, looking at the two of them with wide eyes. "Len, stop!" He yelled, but 'Len' didn't listen, he kept choking him. He eventually passed out and the couple let out a sigh of relief.

It passed another ten minutes and the man was snoring again and their was a thumping sound coming from the other end of the house.

Rick nodded at Danielle and she started to make her way out from the bed, gasping when she hit the man's boot, but eventually made her way out and grabbing her jacket from across the room, along with knives and gun in the drawer.

Rick went into the other room, followed by Danielle. The two went into the room just as other man came in, bouncing his ball on the wall across from them.

She let out a sigh of relief when he stopped, walking away.

"Yo, there's a woman shacking up in here!" That made Danielle's breath get caught in her throat, her looking to Rick.

He put his finger to his lips, shushing her. She nodded, walking into another room, to see if any of the windows can open. Out of the five windows she attempted, she only found one that would open.

She turned her head to tell Rick, but he was already gone. Shit. That's when she heard a slight commotion coming from the room beside her. It's okay, he's fine. The woman kept telling herself that as she made her way out from the window, landing on top of the roof.

She looked at the height of jumping down and it was a good six to seven feet. Gymnastics had finally become useful. Danielle threw both her legs over, holding onto the railing. She let herself fall down, landing with a wince as the pressure of the fall was a little hard.

She took out her gun and held it at her hip, ready for anything that will come her way. She felt a tap on her shoulder, the woman instantly turning around and pointing her gun at the person, and then relaxed when she saw it was just Rick. "C'mon." He whispered to her, going towards the front of the house.

They saw the same guy sitting on the porch as he bounced his ball. He sat on the ledge and Rick started to get his gun into position, ready to shoot. Danielle widened her eyes once she saw Carl and Michonne walking back to the house, the two of them not knowing that there was a group of guys that were bound to kill them.

She tapped Rick's shoulder, and pointed to the other half of their group. He nodded his head and then just as he was about to shoot the guy, their was loud gunshots and the men yelling.

"Go, go!" Rick whisper-shouted to Michonne and Carl. Without question, the two started to run along with Danielle, trailing behind.