chapter thirty-two

DANIELLE'S WORDS WERE CAUGHT IN HER THROAT, SHOCKED THAT THIS IS HAPPENING TO THE COMMUNITY. Her eyes went to Rosita, who was handing her a knife. The woman grabbed it with no hesitation and nodded to her in thanks. Screams were sounded all around the neighborhood, echoing in her ears.

"D, you need to stay with me, you could barely walk." Rosita ordered her. Danielle was about to agree, until she realized that her son was out there, possibly being threatened by the strangers that came into their home.

"No, no, I can't. Nate is out there." The mother's voice shook, scared for her son.

"Danielle... you have to stay with me." Rosita begged her, not wanting another life on her hands.

Suddenly, a horn sounded from a distance, Rosita looking away, meaning Danielle could slip off without her noticing.

So she did, she ran towards the horn and saw it was a large truck crashed into the walls, and it looked like Spencer was trying to stop it so no more walkers would come towards them.

Danielle ran towards it, her head pounding as loud as her heart. Grabbing her knife, she stabbed the person who was against the wheel in its head, flipping the switch to turn off the horn. She panted, leaning against the seat in the truck. Seeing Spencer, she rolled her eyes, chuckling lightly. "You did this?" She had a good guess it was him, since he had his sniper around him and a look of fear on his face.

Spencer swallowed nervously, his eyes squinting a bit as he looked to her. "Yeah..." He trailed off.

Danielle scoffed and got up, regaining her breath. "Where's Nathan?"

"Nath-" Spencer stopped himself and then spoke again. "I saw him run towards Rick's house."

Danielle didn't waste any time sneaking towards the said house as she hid behind the trees, not wanting to be caught by one of the strangers. She breathed heavily, her vision getting a bit blurry, but it went away as soon as it came. She knew that she shouldn't be out of bed this soon and she knew that she could possibly die out here if she doesn't get a gun soon.

Danielle's eyes widened in fear as she witnessed one of the strangers walk inside Jessie's home, a killer look in her eyes. With caution, the mother quickly sprinted towards the door, a knife in her hand threateningly.

She opened it slowly, wanting to get the attention of this person. Getting what she wanted, the person walked, or ran, outside of Jessie's home, charging at Danielle with a machete. The woman kicked her in the knee, it bending a whole different way. She screamed, holding the leg in pain.

"Please, please don't kill me." She pleaded, Danielle not believing a word of her bullshit.

The brunette brought her knife up to her chest, stabbing her in the heart over and over, grunting as her head pounded. The stranger stopped moving, now completely dead. She panted, wiping her forehead as she was weak at the moment. Doing so, she smeared blood on her face, not knowing it.

Danielle finished her off as she stabbed her in the head, getting up off the floor and swaying a bit. She grabbed the machete and made her way towards Rick's house, determination in her eyes.

Panting heavily, she hid behind a bush, trying not be seen by the people in their community. She leaned her head against the wall, trying to catch her breath. There was a sudden tap on her shoulder and Danielle turned around quickly, holding her knife up to the person.

"Danielle, it's me. It's me." Carol told the woman, holding out a gun to her.

Danielle took it without hesitation and it was at this time that she noticed a 'W' placed on her head, trying to blend in with the people. "You okay?"

Carol nodded and then noticed her looking a little pale. "Are you? You're covered in blood."

Danielle chuckled, wiping her head again. "I'm fine. It's not mine."

With that, Carol nodded and walked away, telling the woman to be careful. Now that Danielle had a gun, she was much more useful.

As she approached Rick's home, she saw Ron outside, being chased by one of the 'W' people. She aimed her gun, trying to get a good shot, but her vision was even more blurry than before and she groaned, trying to get closer.

Carl shot him in the leg and then walked towards him, trying to see what he was gonna do. Danielle saw him charge at Carl and she instantly shot him in the head, everyone looking up at her.

The boy smiled, happy to see Danielle was better and she was out of bed. She ran towards the house, seeing Carl, Enid and-

"Nathan." She breathed out, walking towards her son and gave him a tight hug, glad to see he wasn't hurt.

"Are you okay? You have blood all over you." Nathan asked his mom.

"I'm okay. Are you?"

Nathan nodded. "Judith is upstairs."

"Lock the door." Danielle told Carl and he did, locking it just after Enid walked in.

Danielle sat down on the couch, resting for a bit before she realized she had blood all over her and she was probably getting it on the couch. She got up, sighing deeply.

After a couple of minutes, the gunshots stopped and they all looked to each other, the same look on their face. Carl was upstairs checking on Judith as Danielle scrubbed the blood off her face and Nathan and Enid were whispering about something before the door closed, Enid disappearing from the house.

He picked up a piece of paper that read, 'just survive somehow' just as Carl ran downstairs.

He told the paper from Nathan's hands slowly, reading it out loud. "She's really gone, huh?"

Nathan sighed as Carl just stood there, staring at the paper. Danielle looked at the two. "Let's get home, Nate." She told him and he nodded, following his mom out the door as he waved to Carl.

As they approached their home, they saw blood all over their house and a body on the lawn, as she came closer, she realized it was one of the 'W' people as a walker. It groaned and reached out to her.

Danielle stabbed it in the head, ending all it's movements. She pulled out her gun as she walked inside the house. She heard more groaning, but it wasn't from a stranger, it was from Will, his eyes opening to reveal they were clouded over and he was in fact, dead.

Nathan backed away, not wanting to see his father be put down. Although he was an asshole, he didn't deserve to die like that.

Danielle sighed as tears sprung in her eyes, her remembering the good times that they shared. She stabbed him in the head, her tears falling onto his dead body as she fell to her knees, letting out a quiet sob.