chapter sixteen

BLOOD SPLATTERED AGAINST THE WOMAN'S FACE AS SHE PLUNGED HER KNIFE INTO THE DECAYING SKULL OF THE WALKER.

She grimaced in disgust as she wiped her face off, probably smearing it and making it even more worse. "Let's go!" Rick called out to her, the group running away from the small herd of the undead.

"There might be a store or houses up here." Danielle told them, pointing ahead of them.

"Yeah, there has to be food somewhere." Rick said, glancing at Danielle, seeing she was rubbing her arms for warmth.

"Hey, look." All of them looked up, seeing a car not to far from where they were walking, possibly a place they could stay for the night.

-

Night time came by and Rick could hear Danielle's chattering teeth from all the way where he was sitting. He pulled out a jacket from his bag, getting up from his spot and bringing it over to Danielle who was sitting in the back of the car they found.

"Here." Rick whispered to her, holding out the piece of clothing. "I could hear your teeth chattering all the way from over there."

Danielle chuckled and grabbed the jacket. "Thanks." As she putting it on however, she winced in pain as she struggled to get it passed her bullet wound, which was still healing.

Rick took notice of this, helping her put her arm into it, the two of them were only inches apart. Danielle's breath got caught in her throat as she looked into his blue eyes. The moonlight landed on them just right, showing all the emotions held in the iris's.

"I'm gonna try and get some sleep." She said, backing away from him.

Rick cleared his throat, nodding his head. "Yeah, okay." With that, he walked away, fiddling with the wedding ring on his hand.

-

Danielle jumped up as she heard a banging noise on the window, her eyes landing on a man with a knife in his hand, an evil smirk on his face.

Carl's breathing picked up tremendously as he feared for his life. Danielle grabbed onto him, holding him as close as she can to her small body.

"Hold up." Danielle's eyes went to the familiar voice, she smirked a little once she saw Daryl alive, but then she realized the situation she was in and the smile went away almost as soon as it came.

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as Daryl suddenly started to get beat up and Danielle and Carl were pulled out from the car forcefully. "Don't touch him!" She yelled out, but it didn't do much for her as she was slapped across the face.

"You leave them be!" Rick snapped once he saw his son and the woman he loved getting abused by these men. "It was me. It was just me. Leave them be."

"First, we're gonna beat Daryl to death. Then we'll have samurai right here, then we'll have the girl. Then the boy. Then I'll gonna shoot you and then we'll be square." The man who had a gun to Rick's head laughed, finding this whole situation funny.

Danielle was pushed to the floor, the man ok top of her. She wanted to scream. She wanted to yell. She wanted to do anything to not make this man do what he was gonna do to her. But she knew that that would do nothing. It would not stop them. She figured that out the hard way. She thrashed in his arms, wanting to get out of here and run away as far as she can. "Stop moving." The man growled at her. Tears fell down her face as he started to unbuckle his pants, his laugh echoing in her ears.

A gunshot suddenly went off, and the man was now choking her, Danielle struggling to breathe. She clawed at his hands, trying to get free from this nightmare. That's when the man's eyes went wide and his hands loosened around her throat as he looked up. Danielle didn't waste anytime kicking him back off from her and grabbing his knife from the ground, stabbing him over and over.

She didn't stop. It was like she couldn't stop. That was until her hand was pulled back forcefully, and she started to scream and yell. "Don't touch me!" With the knife in hand, she turned around, seeing the bloodied face of Rick Grimes, her eyes going wide once she saw all the men's dead bodies scattered around their small camp.

Rick reached out to her, the woman pulling away from his touch and walking towards a tree where she sat down, trying to comprehend what the hell happened on this night.

-

Danielle didn't sleep that night, she stayed far away from the group, not wanting any human interaction right now. So she was a little annoyed when she heard footsteps come beside her. "I'm fine." She snapped before the person could say anything.

Rick said nothing to the woman as he sat down next to her, holding out a damp rag. "You got blood.."

Danielle took the rag from him, wiping the blood off her face. The two sat in silence as she scrubbed at her cheeks.

Looking at her, he noticed she didn't get any blood off her face no matter how hard she was scrubbing. "Here... you're not getting anything." He chuckled, her allowing him to grab the rag from her hand.

He gently dabbed at her face, getting the blood off smoothly as she kept her eyes on his the whole time, silently admiring him.

She pulled her head away once his fingers trailed over the bruise on her chin, his jaw clenching in anger as he saw what those men did to her.

"C'mon." Daryl called out to them, and they got up, following him down the trail to terminus.

A/N
this lowkey my favorite chapter rn