chapter twenty-five

DANIELLE TRIED TO LISTEN TO WHAT THE GROUP WAS SAYING, BUT IT WAS KINDA HARD WHEN JUDITH KEPT GRABBING AT EVERYTHING ON HER BODY.

"We leave at sundown. Get some rest if you can." Rick told the group and Michonne looked to her, seeing her confused face.

"You hear what he said?" She asked her once she came near the woman and the baby.

"We leave at sundown to this sanctuary place and we see what's it all about." Danielle stated, her voice worn out a bit.

"Yeah. The gist of it." Michonne shrugged.

Danielle looked up and saw Aaron looking at her in slight interest and she looked away, noticing this was the fourth time he's looked at her since they brought him in here.

She looked away quickly and back to Michonne, who seemed deep in thought.

"You want to go to this place?" Danielle asked her and she looked to her, nodding her head.

"Yeah. I do." Michonne said simply and then looked to Judith, giving her a small smile. "I think it'll be good for Judith. Carl."

Danielle hummed and looked to Rick outside, seeing him standing there, looking a little stressed out as he tried to hotwire one of the cars.

Michonne noticed this and motioned to hold Judith, so Danielle could go outside with Rick. "Here. I'll take her."

The brunette nodded and gave her the baby girl, walking out to meet with Rick outside. She approached him silently and he looked to her, getting out from the car.

"I wad thinking that maybe you, me and Glenn could ride with that guy... Carl and Judith are safer in another car." Rick stated.

Danielle looked at him for a second and nodded. "Are we actually gonna do this? Go into this place?"

Rick sighed deeply and then bit his lip slightly. "Yeah... I think we are. I actually need to see this place before I let my family in. The people that I care about, in."

The two looked into each others eyes for a while and stood in silence, enjoying each others presence. That was until Danielle cleared her throat loudly and putting her head down, putting her long hair behind her ears.

Rick let out a sigh, then looked to her with squinted eyes. "I see how everyone is... how they're all suffering by walking all these miles and not having enough food or water. I don't even think I've seen you eaten in weeks."

Danielle shrugged and pursed her lips. "I'll be fine. It's the kids I'm worried about."

Rick sighed. "Yeah." He said a little unsure.

Danielle moved closer to him, grabbing his hand gently, which surprised Rick as he tilted his head down to look at her.

"I don't think there's anything I could say or do to actually make you trust this guy but... trust me." Danielle whispered, their chests inches apart. "Everything is gonna be okay."

Rick looked to her, sighing deeply. "I hope so."

-

The four of them sat in silence as they drove through the quiet trail. Danielle and Aaron were sitting in the back and Rick was in the front, along with Glenn, who was driving.

Rick opened the dashboard and saw many licence plates, him looking to Aaron in the mirror confused.

"Oh, I'm trying to collect all 50 states, put them up in my room." Aaron told him with a goofy smile as Danielle just looked at him.

Aaron looked back, smiling slightly at the woman.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that? Like you know me?" She asked bluntly and Rick looked to her, listening to their conversation.

"It's-It's just..." Aaron stuttered nervously. "I have a friend and he has a picture of you... in his house, along with a little boy in your arms..."

"What?" Danielle couldn't tell if this guy was lying or not. But now she needed to see if he was telling the truth. She needed to go to this community.

"You were listening to us?" Glenn yelled as Rick had a object that helps you hear things from far away.

"I told you I was watching you! I was listening too!" Aaron protested.

"This means that his people know our plan! This isn't safe-"

Rick was cut off as Glenn started to drive through a herd of walkers, each one of their bodies splattering blood onto the windows.

"Glenn!"

"They just came right behind us! They'll pass through." Glenn stated, everyone breathing heavily as the sound of the bodies were loud Glenn passed through the walkers like nothing.

The car stopped and everyone got out, trying to see where the walkers were. "I don't see em!" Rick yelled, trying to see in the dark.

"C'mon, we gotta go!" Glenn told everyone as he saw the walkers coming towards them. They all got back into the car and it sputtered as he turned the key, meaning that they could no longer drive it.

It had passed a couple of seconds before they had seen a bright light, a flare going up into the sky.

Aaron started to panic. "Okay, we're done here. Let me out!"

"No!" Rick yelled to him and Aaron started to get out from the car. Kicking the door open, he ran towards the flare, which meant his people were in trouble.

They all followed him into the forest, encountering a bunch of walkers.

Danielle sliced them with her machete as Rick and Glenn used their guns.

She panted as she started to get tired. "Danielle!" Rick yelled as he threw her the flare gun, her catching it with ease and shooting a walker close to her, it lighting up like the Fourth of July.

All the walkers went towards that one, being drawn to light and they kept moving, Danielle noticing that Glenn was missing.

"Glenn!" She yelled, looking around for him as they shot the walkers.

Rick's gun clicked and he used his machete. Looking around, the two realized that they can't kill all these walkers.

As if on cue, the walkers started to fall down as guns went off. Turning around, Danielle saw Glenn and Aaron, shooting the walkers as they neared them.

Aaron put the gun down and his hands up in surrender. "If you wanna tie me up again, fine. But hurry up."

Rick shook his head. "No time, we're going that way."

The group nodded and followed Rick.