chapter ten

DANIELLE ALMOST CRAWLED TOWARDS THE CARS, TRYING TO DODGE THE BULLETS FLYING OVER HER HEAD. She snuck being a guy with a machine gun and hopped on his back, making him fall over and drop the gun with him. She grabbed it, shooting him in the head quickly. She snatched his hand gun on his waist, shooting everyone from the Governor's group.

She saw a girl walking towards what looked like Rick, but couldn't tell. She shot her in the back, making her fall over in pain and drop her gun like the other guy did not to long ago.

"Rick!" Danielle yelled, rounding the corner and seeing it was Rick, holding the bullet wound in his leg.

She bent down to his level, and held her hand over his hand, which was on his leg. She was breathing heavily, close to having a panic attack.

"A-are you okay? Are you okay?" She asked him frantically, placing her hands on his wet cheeks.

Rick swallowed thickly and started to get up from the ground. "I'm fine." Danielle wrapped her arm around his waist, and the two walked towards the prison.

"Are you okay?" Rick asked the woman, who looked like she was gonna pass out any second.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." She said, a little unsure.

As the two were walking, Danielle felt herself being pushed down onto the ground, barely conscious. She heard grunts, yelling and gunshots. She tried to open her eyes, but a weight was pushing them down. She could barley breath at this point, her lungs burning every time she did.

She saw a blurry Rick on the floor with someone hovering over him, their hands around his neck, choking him to death.

Danielle came to her senses slowly and pulled her knife from her boot, aiming at her target. She inhaled and exhaled deeply, calming herself down. She flicked her wrist, hitting the person in their chest, making them fall off from Rick and onto the ground next to him.

Rick gasped for air, holding his neck in pain. Danielle limped to him, helping him off from the floor. "Hey..." She whispered, placing her hands on his cheeks to see his injuries.

"C-carl..." Rick trailed off, wheezing. "We need to f...find Carl."

Danielle rapidly nodded her head, looking back at the Governor bleeding on the muddy ground of the prison. She glared at his figure on the floor, and then turned back to Rick, seeing him yelling out for Carl.

"Carl!" Danielle yelled, seeing the boy a distance away from her, almost being bitten by a walker.

He shot it down quickly, and turning towards Danielle in confusion, then as he saw her pointing towards his father, he instantly ran towards him, enveloping him in a tight hug.

Danielle smiled at the sight, but that smile quickly faded away once she heard a gunshot go off and a sharp pain in her shoulder, her small body falling onto the floor from the impact. "No!" She heard Rick yell and another gunshot go off, a body falling to the ground.

Rick limped over to her, tears in his eyes as he saw her losing consciousness. "You're okay... you're gonna be okay." Rick whispered, to her or himself... he wasn't sure.

"It's just a graze, I'll be fine." Danielle lied, trying to calm Rick down at the moment.

Carl ran towards them, helping Danielle off from the floor. "Carl, I'm fine. Help your dad." She told him lowly, so only he could hear. He nodded his head, walking towards Rick and grabbing on to his waist, the two of them walking with Danielle trailing behind as she held the wound on her shoulder.

"Where..." Rick wheezed. "Where's Judith?"

Carl shrugged and Danielle swallowed thickly, seeing a car seat not too far from in front of her. "Rick..." She sighed.

He looked towards her, his eyes followed her finger to where she pointed. He almost ran towards it with the help of Carl. The two looked into the baby car seat, seeing nothing but blood in it, assuming the worst.

"No..." Carl whispered as him and Rick started to cry silently.

Danielle walked up to them, placing on Carl's shoulder. "Guys... we have to go."

Rick nodded, eyes gazing into Danielle's. "It's gone." He cried, looking around at the prison.

Danielle nodded, "I know."

No words were exchanged between the three as they made their way to the exit, leaving of what once was called home.