chapter eight

DANIELLE SIGHED IN RELIEF AS SHE FELT THE WARM SUN ON HER SKIN. It has been a full week since she has been sick and she's been feeling alot better ever since. She wasn't burning up, well sorta but not as bad as before. She was just happy to be alive.

"Danielle?!" She heard a voice from behind her, making her turn around.

"I thought you were supposed to be inside?" Maggie asked the woman, but she just shrugged.

"I couldn't stand being in that room anymore." She said innocently, walking towards Hershel who was looking at all the dead bodies of the people we lost.

"Hey daddy." Maggie smiled, pulling her dad on for a hug.

"Hey, darling." Hershel responded back as they pulled away.

"You need some help?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Uh, no I think I'll be alright." He said.

"Okay, well. Be careful." Maggie paused. "I love you."

Hershel smiled slightly. "I love you, too."

With that, she walked off, leaving just me and Hershel.

"What'd you need help with?" Danielle asked curiously.

"Oh, just the bodies. Burning them." Hershel shrugged.

"I can help." Danielle offered.

Hershel gave her a stern look. "You are supposed to be resting. We shouldn't even be having this conversation."

"Hershel, I'm fine." He squinted his eyes, not believing her. "Seriously."

After a couple of moments of contemplating, Hershel finally nodded and Danielle smirked, happy she can come along.

-

Danielle parked the truck of dead bodies in front of the prison, outside the gates. They both got out from the car just as Hershel pulled out his lighter to light the torch he just made.

The two sighed deeply as he threw it on, the two watching the bodies of the people that once were, ignite into flames.

Danielle turned around, but once she did that, she instantly felt an immense pain at the side of her head, making her vision go black.

Hershel's first instinct was to pull out his gun, to which that was a mistake when the attacker already had a gun held up to him. "Drop it." He ordered, to which Hershel complied.

-

Danielle woke up to someone touching her head lightly. Her vision was blurry and she couldn't see anything, but once her eye sight got more clearer, the more the person she didn't want to see again came into view.

She instantly backed away from their touch. "Don't fucking touch me."

The governor backed away, arms up in surrender. He grabbed a packet of food, and shoved it in their direction.

Danielle had her eyes on his every move, watching him sceptically.

"Y'all should eat. It's gonna be a long day." When Hershel nor Danielle said anything, he sighed heavily. "Nobody's gonna hurt you."

Danielle instantly scoffed at this, shaking her head slightly. "That's what you said when I walked into those gates."

Governor squinted his eyes at her, pretending he had no idea what she was talking about. "What was that?"

Danielle glared at him before clenching her jaw and looking out the window.

"I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to hurt anyone." The governor said. "I just need the prison that's all. There are people I need to keep alive. You two are gonna help me take it."

"What makes you think we're gonna do that?" Danielle snapped at him. From beside him, Hershel could basically feel the heat radiating off from her. She was so angry.

Governor scoffed as he kept his eyes at the ground. "I'm gonna kill you." Danielle stated, making the man roll his eyes in disbelief. "No, you won't."

"I'm gonna watch you suf-"

"Stop it." Hershel cut her off, now wanting to talk to the governor.

"Look." Hershel started. "Your people... our people can find a way to live together. These people that you need to keep alive, do you love them?"

"You're a good man, Hershel." Governor said, walking towards the door. "Better man than Rick. You and Rick have both changed." He paused, looking straight at Danielle. "We'll never be able to live with each other. Michonne and I, we'll never be able to live with each other. Or even Danielle."

"We'll find a way." Hershel tried to reason with him.

"I found a way! I'm trying hard. There's all kinds of ways I could do this. This way, you get to live." The governor yelled suddenly.

"You say you want to take this prison as peacefully as possible. That means you'd be willing to hurt people to get it. My daughters would be there. That's who you'd be hurting. If you understand what it's like to have a daughter, then how can you threaten to kill someone else's?" Hershel told him, his hands shaking slightly as he worried for his family's saftey.

"Because they aren't mine." With that, the governor slammed the door open and walked out, leaving Danielle and Hershel in silence.