|6|

I wrote her a letter. In an attempt to move on. I wrote out of my feelings and it felt good. Until I saw her with Heather at Pop's the next day. It was a nice day, sunny, calm. I went to get a burger for Betty, or for her baby, and that's when I saw her. Them.

They were sitting at my booth and Cheryl was chewing on a cherry. Heather was sitting across from her and she was reading something to Cheryl off of her phone. I walked inside and made no eye contact with them. I went up to the counter and sat down, telling the waiter what I wanted. I laced my fingers together and snuck a look to see if they saw me.

I saw the back of Cheryl's head and Heather's face buried in her phone while she read out a... Poem? I turned back to the counter. I traced shapes onto the surface and waited for the food. The food came out in a white bag to-go and I left the money on the counter. I faked a smile and turned, ready to leave when Veronica came in with Archie.

"Toni?!" She smiled and hugged me tight. I saw Cheryl's head turn around and she gaped at us. Veronica pulled away and looked me over. I smiled, genuinely happy to see her. We both laughed and I hugged her again. I heard heels clanking over to us and I slowly pulled away.

"Veronica, could you give us a minute, alone?" Heather sat back in the booth, crossing her arms. Cheryl crossed hers at the same time, sending chills up my spine. I cleared my throat and smiled at Veronica. She nodded and guided Archie to a booth. I looked back at Cheryl and she inhaled.

"Look, I'm just trying to figure things out. I need to... See who I want to be with. You or her. I didn't mean to run away with her, she just kinda yanked me into her car and I saw your bike ride off so I stayed with her." She reached out to cup my shoulder but I twisted away from her causing her to gasp and furrow her brows.

"Um, okay. First of all, you could've told me all this anytime during the last week. Second of all, don't touch me. Third of all, there shouldn't be a choice to make, she's in the past. I'm not. You know what, I'll text you." I pushed past her and out the diner. Straight to Betty's now.

I parked my bike in Betty's driveway and unclipped the side pouch holding the food. I pull it out and begin my walk to her door. I knock twice and wait. Twice more. I inspect the windows and see her sleeping on Jughead's lap. Her bump is starting to show.

"Jughead! I have the food!" I call out and wait for the door to open. A few seconds later he opens the door and let's me in. I go to the kitchen and set the burger, fries and milkshake down. I smile at Jughead and start for the door.

"Toni! Wait. Betty and I were thinking about getting the gang together and going on a road trip for two weeks. Like, me, her, you, Veronica, Archie... Cheryl, maybe. If its okay with you." I look at a sleeping Betty and then back to Jughead. I sigh and nod.

"Invite whoever you want, just, who's car are we taking?" I cross my arms.

"Veronica's renting an RV for the two weeks. It has a bathroom, a kitchen, two long couch benches I guess, a booth surrounding a table... Its nice." He smiles slightly and I grin. I nod again and wave him goodbye. Then stop at the doorway.

"Wait, when do we begin the road trip?" He furrows his brows and thinks for a minute.

"Veronica said... Thursday. Yeah, this Thursday." I nod slowly again and actually walk out this time. My bike greets me and I sit down. I stare off into the window and see Betty get up. Jughead brings her the food and she smiles lazily. I twist the handles and drive off, back to my trailer.

It doesn't take very long for me arrive home. I unlock my door and walk straight to my couch. I sigh... I should text Cheryl. Ask her questions. Or I could go to sleep... Oh man, I don't know which is better. Sleeping or winning over your girl.

Suddenly, I get a text. From Cheryl. Winning over your girl it is. I open up my messages and the new text reads:

Hey
Hi
I heard about this road trip. You going?
Yeah, you?
Yes
Can we talk?
Yes...
Okay, who do you want to be with? Her or me?
You.

I wasn't expecting such a quick response.

Okay, come over to my trailer now.
That's actually why I was texting... I can't. My car broke down a mile away from your house... Come pick me up?
Oml, yeah. Be there in ten.
Thanks dear

I stand up, grabbing my keys and locking the door again. I get on my bike, twist the handles and drive. A few minutes of turning and stopping at lights and I see her red beauty. I smirk and slow down, pulling over behind her. She gets out of her car and waves shyly.

"Hey..." She crosses her arms. She's wearing a black crop top with a V neck, high waisted shorts, and knee high boots. God, she is stunning. I smile and immediately hug her. She give sin almost right away and we hug. For a while. I pull away and she explains what happened. Her fingers continue folding and fiddling through her talking.

I smile and know what to do. She keeps talking about what she was doing. I cross my arms and she sways her hands, acting out how her car broke down. I smile and nod once she's finished. Cheryl looks at me with a i-don't-know-anymore face and inhales. All I do is nod.

"Okay, Cherry."