More About the Fourth Gospel (John)

In contrast to the Synoptic Gospels, the Book of John is much different. For example, the author left out the iconic parables, exorcisms, and even the Last Supper. Furthermore, he added many accounts, like Jesus turning water into wine or resurrecting Lazarus, that are not found in the other three Gospels. His chronology is also different. For example, in the Synoptic Gospels, Jesus's ministry lasts a year, but in the Book of John, it lasts three.

Jesus's teaching style is different, as well. Instead of teaching through parables and short little sayings, his speeches are much more lengthy. They mostly focus on his divinity and his ability to grant eternal life, unlike the other Gospels where he has more to say. These are just a handful of inconsistencies that make it difficult for biblical scholars to fit John with the other Gospels.

Arguably the biggest difference is how John handles Jesus's divinity. Whereas in the others, Jesus either doesn't make his divinity explicit or sternly commands his disciples to keep it under wraps, John's Jesus is unafraid to claim his godly connection. He boldly uses "I AM" in response to questions, which is a phrase the God of Israel used in the Old Testament, and talks about how he and the Father are One.

It is because of these glaring differences that scholars have argued for centuries over the historical accuracy and authenticity of the Book of John. They argue, too, over who the author was, although many scholars think that John is as plausible as any. However, scholars have still not come to a consensus on these issues. Some posit that John expected his readers to have already read the Book of Mark and was giving a supplement to the other Gospels, which is why his account varies so much. Other scholars go so far as to claim that it was a forgery from a later period of time. It's true that it was most likely the last to be written (90-100 AD), but the claim that it is a forgery has not been proven. Whatever the case, it's certain that the Book of John has had a huge impact on modern-day Christianity, perhaps more than the rest of the Gospels combined, as you will see in the next chapter.