Thoughts on Judaism

I really enjoy studying religions, religious beliefs, and their effects on humanity. There is something intriguing about human beliefs and practices and why humans act the way they do. Ironically, the farther I've drifted from organized religion and Christian, the more interested I've become in religion! A few times I've considered switching career paths to religious studies, history, or human psychology. Who knows, maybe someday I will.

I have already written a chapter on Islam, but here are my thoughts on Judaism:

I have a soft spot for Judaism. After all, it is the first Abrahamic religion, and it's what Christianity sprang out of to become a major world religion. Judaism is all about a personal relationship with YHWH (God), following traditions and rituals, and embracing community. YHWH is neither male or female, and YHWH judges people by their actions, not their beliefs.

The Jewish scriptures are the Tanakh (the "Old Testament," including the Torah), and the Talmud (commentary on the Tanakh by Jewish scholars). Jews have a variety of vibrant festivals and religious rituals. Conversion to Judaism is difficult, as one as to do a lot of studying and lifestyle changes, as well as prove one's sincerity and dedication to the Jewish people and YHWH. You even have to learn some Hebrew!

For Christians that are curious, Jews reject Jesus as the Messiah because he didn't fulfill the Jewish scriptures. They weren't looking for a savior or a divine man (such a thing goes against having no God but YHWH!) The Messiah was supposed to be a great military leader who would become King of the Jews and bring an era of peace to the world. He wasn't supposed to be divine, or a pacifist, or die a humiliating death at the hands of the Romans.

Similarly to Christianity, Judaism has a strong emphasis on ethics and the sanctity of life. Even so, Jewish beliefs differ from Christianity in a number of ways. For example, abortion is allowed in cases of rape, incest, or harm or distress to the mother. Contraception is allowed, and sex is generally seen in a more positive light than in Christianity. Most Jews are not in favor of capital punishment, and most are in favor of protecting animals and animal rights. Judaism has even been working towards acceptance of gay and transgender Jews in both Reform and Conservative circles, which is a pleasure to hear.

Contrary to popular belief, Judaism does have a concept of the afterlife. However, because the religion emphasizes focusing on this life, it doesn't have much dogma surrounding the life to come. Hence, it encompass a wide variety of ideas, from resurrection to reincarnation. There is also a "hell," but the punishment is finite. After a year, the soul either moves on to the afterlife or, if they were really evil, their soul ceases to exist.

In the end, I don't have any strong feelings against Judaism. In fact, my view of it is quite positive, except for Orthodox Judaism (but I'm against all forms of very conservative religious "fundamentalists," so that isn't unique to Judaism). Judaism is probably one of my favorites out of all the world religions. It's a shame that so much of the world holds anti-Semitic views and that the Jews were almost wiped out by the Holocaust. :(