Chapter 13

After the first three months of school at Stella Academy comes Parents’ Day. Even though I am technically not allowed to see my family anymore, I have gotten permission to invite them and my sister to Parents’ Day. But only because I’m special. Lorelai, the nurse and apparently the head of the Stella Academy Taurus House, is also very interested in finding out who my father is, and which side of my family had descended from the Greek gods. But they were also allowed to come so I could see them one last time. Frederick had spent every free minute of his days with me since the “incident”. He apologized every time he had a chance, and even though I had rejected him, he still wouldn’t leave me be. He wanted us to be friends, because he worried so much about me. 

I’ve tried to suppress my feelings about Phoenix. I’ve had enough to think about with suddenly being a shifter and all, I haven’t had time to also try and figure out my feelings. But that doesn’t mean I can ignore the way my stomach and ovaries squirms inside of me every time he smiles at me. I’ve decided to not do anything about my crush, but it doesn’t mean it gets any easier being around him all the time. 

And I’m not lying. I have been around him all the time in the past weeks. I’ve moved into the Taurus house, and suddenly I’m not unwelcome anymore, all though that doesn’t mean the other residents of Taurus are nice to me. Gideon still haven’t apologized for almost killing me, but on the other hand he hasn’t tried to do it again. Avalon has ignored me completely since I moved into the house, and I have a feeling it’s because of the relationship between me and Phoenix. Even though there really isn’t a ‘relationship’ between us. I know he’s with Sky, and I have no interest in fighting with her. That can only end badly for me.

I have both been looking forward to and dreaded this day. I’ve missed my mom and Dean and  Katie. Especially Katie. But I know that after today I won’t be able to see them much more. They won’t be my family anymore. The Shifters are my family now, whether I like it or not. I can’t do anything about it. Those are the circumstances under which I live now. 

I stand side by side with Avalon’s younger sister Katrina, as we await the arrival of our parents.  She smiles slightly at me and puts her arm around my shoulders.

“It’s gonna be okay, Jess. Just act normal, and don’t tell them anything.” She whispers. Katrina has become a great friend of mine. She’s the only Taurus included person who actually likes talking to me. She’s told me that she really likes Fred, because she wanted to know if I’d be pissed at her if she asked him out. I told her that was fine. I want them both to be happy.

“I know. I just know my mom’ll be able to see right through me. She’ll know something’s not right.” I say, my voice shaking.

“Just don’t think about Taurus for the day. Spend your day with them as if it was any other day. If they ask why you moved houses just tell them a lie. Tell them you and Faye couldn’t make it work so you moved in with me!” She smiles.

“But you don’t even live in Taurus yet!” I laugh half-heartedly.

“Well, they don’t have to know that, do they?”

“I guess…” She squeezes me in a half-hug, before letting me go when she sees the first car rolling in. She squeals as she recognizes her parents’ car. I can’t help but smile when she runs into their arms with a big smile. They talk for a bit and I notice her pointing at me, I wave at her family. And she gestures to me to come over. Hesitantly I join them.

“Oh, so you’re Jessica! It’s so nice to meet you! Both Avalon and Katrina have told us so much about you!” Katrina’s mother says excitedly, as she pulls me into a hug.

“Oh, really?” I glance at Katrina over her mother’s shoulder. She rolls her eyes with a smile. “It’s nice to meet you too, Mrs Costello.” She lets me go, “You too, Mr Costello.” I shake her father’s hand.