Order of the Olympians Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It was just after six o'clock when the four demigods and Mrs. Weasley arrived back at Grimmauld Place. Each had fulfilled their school supply list, lugging their new books and trunks to take to Hogwarts. Only Nico ended up with a pet, but after seeing the two together, Percy was already regretting not buying one.

Mrs. Weasley disarmed the jinxes waiting for intruders and walked through the wooden door, the demigods following on her heels. She cast a helpful spell that lifted their new luggage off the ground and into their room. When they all reached the dining room, they were surprised to see it filled with people. A scarlet banner hung over the center of the dining table that read, "Congratulations Ron and Hermione-New Prefects!" Mrs. Weasley squinted at the banner, then squealed with delight and rushed over to her son.

Hermione was beaming with pride next to an embarrassed looking Ron. "My Ronald is a school prefect? That's four in the family! Oh, I'm so proud of you!" Mrs. Weasley crushed Ron to her chest with a tight hug, then gave her best wishes to Hermione.

Percy cleared the space between them in two strides and stuck his hand out. "Congratulations to you both. We have no idea what being a Prefect means, but I assume it's a good thing."

He heard a pair of snorts behind him, and spun around to find Fred and George snickering with bemused expressions. "I don't know about that mate, only a right sure prat is appointed to Prefect."

Percy honestly couldn't tell which brother was which, so he just backed away when Mrs. Weasley slapped both boys on the arm and shooed them away. "Percy, dear, being a Prefect is a special privilege. One boy and one girl is selected from each house and given extra authority and responsibilities. They report to the head of the house and to the headmaster himself!" She was so obviously pleased, and seemed reluctant to take her hands off of her son. She kept patting his cheeks muttering, "So proud, my son! Almost all of the boys in the family..."

Ron looked like he was going to die of embarrassment. "That's enough Mum!" He pushed her hands off of him and went to hide behind Hermione. The other demigods moved to congratulate the two, and Percy began scanning the crowd. There had to be at least six more people there than this morning. He caught sight of a head of jet-black hair mulling around in the corner eating finger food and sidestepped the newcomers to greet him.

"Hiding in the corner?" Percy asked, surprising Harry. He jumped in surprise and narrowed his eyes when they landed on Percy.

"I'm not hiding, I'm eating." Harry retorted, stuffing another mini sandwich in his mouth.

"Mhhmm." Percy tilted his head in consideration. "And you aren't upset at all for not making Prefect?"

Harry's eyes widened, as if Percy had caught him red-handed, but threw up a mask of indifference. "Ron's my best mate, I'm happy for him!"

Percy threw up his hands in faux defeat, giving Harry a crooked smile. "Whatever you say, man. Who are all of these people?" he asked, gesturing to the boisterous crowd.

Harry was obviously relieved for the change of topic. "They are the rest of the Weasley family and more members of the Order. That's Mr. Weasley, Ron's brother Bill, and his sister, Ginny," he explained, pointing out two new frizzy, red-headed men and a girl who looked to be a little younger than Harry. "Over there is Lupin, Tonks, and Kingsley Shacklebolt." At the sound of his name, Lupin turned from his conversation with Tonks and his tired eyes met Percy's.

Percy immediately pegged him as some kind of monster. He didn't think the man was necessarily evil, but Percy definitely knew a monster when he saw one. He made a mental note to keep an eye out. Lupin noticed Percy's narrowed gaze, and slowly went back to his conversation throwing one last look over his shoulder. Harry watched the silent exchange with interest but said nothing.