Order of the Olympians Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Annabeth sucked in a breath of surprise and Percy choked on his sip of water. "Ah, Mr. Jackson. Can you please tell the class The Huntress' name? I believe you are quite familiar with her origin story, are you not?"

Hermione raised an eyebrow; Percy didn't seem like the kind of guy who knew anything about recent developments in Astronomy. Annabeth maybe, but Percy? No way.

"Zoe." He whispered, the moisture in his eyes prominent from the light of the full moon. "Zoe Nightshade. She was the daughter of the titan Atlas, the General of Kronos' army."

Okay, so I was wrong, Hermione thought to herself. Not only does Percy know what he's talking about, but he's oddly emotional about it.

Dr. C's eerie grin stretched across his bearded face. "Well done, Mr. Jackson. It seems that we have a mythology expert in our midst." Hermione looked on in confusion when Percy grit his teeth at the wink their new teacher shot him.

At the mention of mythology, Hermione's ears perked. This was the topic she had found strangely interesting ever since she met her new friends from America. "Can anyone else tell the class about our dear Zoe?" He asked, his colorful eyes scanning the small group of students.

"She...she was the lieutenant of the Hunters of Artemis." Annabeth said quietly, earning a proud look from Dr. C.

"Artemis? Isn't she that moon goddess from Greek mythology?" Parvati Patil asked.

Dr. C looked slightly frustrated. "Yes, Miss Patil, she is that 'moon goddess from Greek mythology.' Lady Artemis is also the goddess of the Hunt, Childbirth, Chastity, and the Wilderness, and is among one of the most respected of all the Greek deities."

"I would love to hear from our two experts on the subject." He turned his attention back to Annabeth and Percy.

Annabeth's expression pinched, but she continued. "The Hunters of Artemis are young women who swear their loyalty to the goddess. They decided to reject the company of men for as long as they live. They become immortal as long as they don't break their vows or fall in battle."

"Quite a tempting offer, wouldn't you say?"

Annabeth's eyebrows shot up towards her hairline. "Maybe at one time." Her gaze softened as she looked to Percy. "But not anymore."

Hermione was interested in learning more about the constellation, so she tried bringing the subject back on track. "So, this Huntress is Zoe Nightshade? Can you tell us her story?"

Dr. C blinked at her, then his expression cleared, and he nodded. "Of course, thank you Miss Granger. I am an old man who has seen far too much and has told twice as many stories. But this one...this is one of my favorites." He strode over to his chair against the window. Hermione pulled out her notebook and a quill, everyone else except Percy and Annabeth following suit.

"As Mr. Jackson pointed out, Zoe Nightshade was the daughter of Atlas. Many lifetimes ago, she and her sisters lived in the Garden of the Hesperides, protecting and caring for Hera's tree of golden apples."

Hermione heard Annabeth scoff and wondered what that was about. Dr. C gave her an amused look before continuing, "I'm sure you all remember the name of the hero that found himself in the Garden for his quest?"

When nobody answered, Percy grit his teeth and spat, "Hercules."

"I understand your disdain for the son of Zeus, Mr. Jackson. Hercules was quite the pompous ass." The entire class laughed at the strange description. "As part of his Eleventh Labor, Hercules was sent to the Garden of the Hesperides to steal a golden apple from Hera's tree. Zoe Nightshade helped the handsome young man in his quest by showing him how to trick her father, and by giving him a special hairpin."